Curious about IRN s

Moderator: Mods

deemchl

Curious about IRN s

Post by deemchl »

Hello all,
I am interested in info from actual IRN owners with long term ownership. I have only had one bird before. My eleven year old Cocatiel which I loved completely , died just before Christmas. She has left a very empty place in my life. I am looking to get another bird and have been doing a great deal of research. The IRN has caught my attention as well as Quakers, and Caiques. My husband wants a bird that might be capable of speach. The IRNs look very capable.
In my research though it sounds like they might not be a very affectionate bird. My cocatiel was Very affectionate. I would like some input on that aspect in particular.
Also, it sounds as though they might have more inclination for biting, so input about that as well. My Cocatiel would never bite unless she was getting ready to lay eggs, then she was quite vicious.
Also, is there much difference between male and females? And are there issues with the females like excessive egg laying or egg binding. Cocatiels have issues that way. My bird was one with issues. She layed 12 eggs in a row one year, finally had to get a shot for her to stop. I believe her egg issues are what caused her death but do not know for sure. She died very suddenly.
Anyway any input would be very helpful. I am anxious for another bird but with such a long time commitment i do not want to get the wrong kind of bird. I do know that affection is very important to me. Thank you, Dee
Melika

Re: Curious about IRN s

Post by Melika »

The display of affection varies depending on the individual bird. For example, I can cuddle and pet Hane a little but his brother didn't like any sort of petting. And I don't cuddle Hane very often because he will bite holes in my clothes. XD But he loves to sit on my knee and get pet/scratches and makes sweet little chirruping noises.

I haven't had any experience with a super-cuddly IRN.

Hane rarely bites, and he has only broken my skin once (just barely).

Personally I'm more afraid of quaker bites, but perhaps because all the ones I've known had major territorial issues with their cages. Caiques on the other hand, I've known some awesome caiques!
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
deemchl

Post by deemchl »

Melika,
Thanks for responding. Were your IRNs hand fed as babies?
demmo

Post by demmo »

hi there

i have a 5 year old male irn he was pre owned ive had him for 8mths you could not wish for a more affectionate bird the problem is he is too affectionate displaying hormonal tendancies all the time lol.because i live alone and i am at home most of the time he sticks to me like glue,i have to do all my housework with him perched on my shoulder i can even go outside to the rubbish bins with him still on my shoulder.if he's perched on his cage door and i go to leave the room he flys after me and lands on my back.if i have locked him in his cage for a bit of peace lol and i leave the room he screams his head off i would call that being affectionate towards me wouldn't you?my advice to you is to research as much as possible i too read they can be nippy when they are going through the bluffing stage plus they can become attached to one person and not the other if their are two of you.my bird minty will go to any male visitors but is wary of females he does go to them but he is fussy hope this helps as regards being affectionate.

cheers
i
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

I like my pets to have spirit, independence, and to do things on their own terms. Sanjay does Not Do affection unless He instigates a kissy or hair preening. That's fine by us, because we don't Do needy pets. I should imagine a hand reared bird, like any hand reared animal, will have a better bond with humans, in fact, when we bred dogs, the pups would be offered a bottle now and then for exactly that reason, bonding.If you do decide on an URN then my advice would be to but one that is hand reared, and handle it several times a day thereafter. Good Luck!