What will be the Outcome???

Moderator: Mods

c0keguy

What will be the Outcome???

Post by c0keguy »

I am getting a violet turquoise cleartail female (carrying very little green on her back) she comes from a double split male
Violet green split cleartail and blue dad X violet turquoise cleartail mom. Now i want to pair her up with a DF(double factor) violet cleartail cock (comes from a violet cleartail dad X violet cleartail mom). What will be the outcome as turquoise parblue on genetic calculator can be little confusing at times .. Is this good pairing to do, as i want to minimize the turquoise effect on the babies.. Any help will be much appreciated
Regards,
McmillanBirds

Re: What will be the Outcome???

Post by McmillanBirds »

Hi there

If I am not mistaken, both of your birds could be (df) or (sf) due to parents genetics.

If they are both (sf) birds you will get blue, violet blue, turquoise blue and turquoise blue violet(all in cleatail).

If the male is (df) you will get violet blue and turquoise blue violet(all in cleartail).

If the female is (df) you will get the same results.

If both are (df) you will get the same as above but the babies will all be (df) too.

The people who are more experienced are welcome to correct me if I am wrong. Sadly, there is no way to avoid the turquoise gene with this particular pairing. The babies will be 50/50 either way unless both birds are (sf) in which case you will have a little normal blue and turquoise blue cleartails too.

Carmen
Johan S

Re: What will be the Outcome???

Post by Johan S »

c0keguy wrote:Violet green split cleartail and blue dad X violet turquoise cleartail
c0keguy wrote:comes from a violet cleartail dad X violet cleartail mom
The first pair will produce heterozygous turquoise offspring, if the cock is truely split blue. If, however, it was split for turquoise, the offspring 'could' be homozygous. Thus, since you are breeding with this heterozygous bird, paired to a homozygous blue (i.e. no turquoise), the offspring will also be heterozygous like their mother. To enter a heterozygous turquoise correctly on gencalc, you need to mark turquoise and split blue. 50% offspring will be blue, and 50% will be turquoiseblue (only considering the blue allele, not the violet and cleartail mutations). Hope that helps! :)