is this something to worry about

Moderator: Mods

wolfeey152

is this something to worry about

Post by wolfeey152 »

ok well sonic was sitting on my hand today and i notices this little small insect probably about 1mm big on his cheek it looked kinda white on one side but brown on the other (i think) i went to try and swipe it off but sonic didnt let me near his face and it crawled into his feathers so im just wondering what it could be and if its anything to be worried about??
sonic blue ringneck parrot age between 5-9 months unsexxed
ollie cinnamon cockatiel age around 5 months male
ellieelectrons

Re: is this something to worry about

Post by ellieelectrons »

I'm not an expert... I'd do a search for bird lice. If sonic has lice I believe it can be treated.

Ellie.
wolfeey152

Post by wolfeey152 »

hmm maybe i might try buying some bird lice treatment but for the moment i have just only seen the one is it possible that it could be something else maybe from the branches i brought in from the dead tree outside to use as perches??
sonic blue ringneck parrot age between 5-9 months unsexxed
ollie cinnamon cockatiel age around 5 months male
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Highly possible. I'd try to identify it online if I could. Maybe you could look for pictures of it? Check the tree that you got the branch from and see if you can see the same insects on the tree.

I think you should probably talk to an expert. My first recommendation would be an avian vet but if you can't find one of those, an extremely knowledgeable about birds pet store person would probably be ok.

Ellie.