Strange colours?

Moderator: Mods

Maniiacy

Strange colours?

Post by Maniiacy »

Hello. Both of my birds, Bonnie and Clyde, are siblings and are caged together. They are 1.5 years old. I've noticed some strange colours in their two blue tail feathers and a lack of colour elsewhere.

This is the (assumed) females tail feathers. There is a lot of green where there should be blue.

This is the males. His tail feathers have a patch that goes from blue, to white, to green, back to blue between the red lines.

This is one of the males moulted feathers. There are a few spots that are black and white, though it should be solid green, no?

I am worried, though I was told by a breeder friend that it is perfectly normal since both of their parents are split to albino, and for the first 3 or so years of their life, their feathers may show all sorts of strange colours.

They have a good diet, with seed and pellet always available to them. They are also given a mix of carrots, cauliflower, and broccoli every day, plus assorted fruits seasonally. Currently that would be strawberries and blackberries. They also always have fresh water.

They act healthy and obnoxious as ever (and of course I say that in an affectionate way :mrgreen: ), but I know birds are very good at hiding symptoms. Am I over reacting? Is it just because of their parents?

Thanks,

Michaela
PepperFetouh

Re: Strange colours?

Post by PepperFetouh »

my alexandrine has the same colors :) looks perfectly normal to me
Pepper, hawk's mommy
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Look ok to me. Sanjays sire was lutino and his dam blue, he has a lot of lutino, including a wee dot of yellow on the back of his head. His new plumage is vibrant, handsome lad!.
Maniiacy

Post by Maniiacy »

Alright, thank you you guys. :) I have never seen anything like this before on them, so the "worried mommy" in me took over.. :lol: