Molting?

Moderator: Mods

anabelster

Molting?

Post by anabelster »

My bird has a bald spot on the top of his head. He looks hideous. : ( At first I thought it was molting, but now I'm not sure. He's acting normal and has even started flying off his cage and then back, which he never did before. He flew on me today while I was cooking and this is the first time he's flown and not climbed up. His diet is the same. Actually, I just removed/changed a few things (morning coffee is now decaf, no more chips & salty foods, even though they are organic, I've also been taking out his food before I add condiment, like to beans & mashed potatoes).

He does get seeds that his ex-owner gave to me, but eats very little of them since I feel him all day long. I give him a lot of fresh fruits & veggies, but am thinking too many fruits and not enough veggies.

Basically, the only thing that has changed since I got him (about 6 months ago) is that I've added fresh fruits and veggies. Everything else he had before and I didn't want to change it around because he LOVES his little piece of whole grains bread dipped in coffee (all organic).

I've noticed he hasn't been talking as much since he started "molting." I read it was painful and figured this was why. But it's been a long time now...how long does it last? He's losts his tail feathers, but I can see them starting to grow back. He bit me a while ago, which he's never done that hard before. It was hard enough to draw blood. Only did it once and it was before he lost any feathers, which is how I found out about the molting. But has been mostly-sweet ever since.
ellieelectrons

Re: Molting?

Post by ellieelectrons »

I think you should take him to an avian vet. My birds moult and got motley but they've never had a bald spot on their head. Perhaps you could post a picture?
anabelster wrote:morning coffee is now decaf
I have a feeling you shouldn't be feeding your bird coffee, decaf or not... others can correct me if I'm wrong.
anabelster wrote:He flew on me today while I was cooking
I know I'm probably over protective but I also make sure they are in their cage when I'm using hotplates as I'm scared they might get hurt. Just thought I'd mention it as something for you to think about.

Good luck with your bird. It sounds like you have a wonderful relationship and it's lovely to hear that.

Ellie.