I have just bought my first bird and its a IRN.

Moderator: Mods

Puddy

I have just bought my first bird and its a IRN.

Post by Puddy »

A couple of weeks ago I was in the pet store (my favourite place - I have an English Bulldog, Tropical fish and a Turtle) and I saw this beautiful Blue bird and bought it there and then along with a big cage and some toys. The Pet store person said she knew nothing about these birds and to jump on the net so here I am :) .

Anyway I work for myself with horses so I started leaving my bird at home every day with the radio on but read on the pc that I should take him with me for company so I am. I have a couple of things I would love answered one being the cage is on the floor, is this ok? And what are the best gloves to wear when handling the little guy with a mean beak??

Also should I always keep his wings clipped??

Answers to these questions will be most appreciated.

Thank you very much
Puddy :D
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Hey! Congratulations on your new family addition!

Ringnecks make marvelous pets and are really fun to have around!

Good job about keep the radio on daily! This is great as it allows the bird to feel more secure and less lonely. Keeping the cage in front of a window is great as well; just make sure direct sun light does not hit the bird as it can quickly over heat.

Keep the cage at eye level and off the floor. Keeping the cage on the floor makes the bird feel insecure and more irritable. Ringnecks are birds, and like all birds, they prefer to be off the ground. Birds hate to be on the ground. A small table at eye level will suffice. This will make your bird more secure and less phobic. Just make sure it’s out of drafts and away from the kitchen.

Also, do not use gloves. I know they help to avoid nasty bites; however, they do more damage than any good. To me, gloves mean grabbing the bird and making it do things it does not want to do. Rather then force the bird to do anything it does not want to do, start with coaxing him to eat food from your fingers. Does he do that already?

What interactions can you do with him? What will he let you do? Feed him? Pet him?

Hope this helps and if you have anymore questions please feel free to ask! Welcome to this board! :D

Best wishes,

I.C.
joejo85

Re: I have just bought my first bird and its a IRN.

Post by joejo85 »

Puddy wrote:A couple of weeks ago I was in the pet store (my favourite place - I have an English Bulldog, Tropical fish and a Turtle) and I saw this beautiful Blue bird and bought it there and then along with a big cage and some toys. The Pet store person said she knew nothing about these birds and to jump on the net so here I am :) .

Anyway I work for myself with horses so I started leaving my bird at home every day with the radio on but read on the pc that I should take him with me for company so I am. I have a couple of things I would love answered one being the cage is on the floor, is this ok? And what are the best gloves to wear when handling the little guy with a mean beak??

Also should I always keep his wings clipped??

Answers to these questions will be most appreciated.

Thank you very much
Puddy :D
I use just regular winter gloves that have thick installation so when he nibbles/bites me I don't feel it. I just got a new IRN for Christmas he just started stepping up on my hand tonight. I would suggest keeping the bird cage in a place where the bird can see you & whats going on in the house. I suggest clipping wings it makes the bond when taming easier to form & the bird cant fly around & injure itself but once the bird is tame it's up to you if you wanna keep him flighted :)