Friends new Lori

Moderator: Mods

kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Friends new Lori

Post by kyria »

My girlfriend and I went on a whole days trip around to 5 breeders and one major petstore (Petworld) looking for a bird for her. Imagine that we should find the perfect lorikeet at a breeders we had not planned on visiting, but happened across on our travels :wink: always a good sign. And an even better one when the bird is unusual and just won't let you leave without buying it hehehe :D . Well thats what this Olive Rainbow Lorikeet did. He is so intelligent and active, such a beautiful bird. Secret! if Leisa did not buy it I surely would have.

we had the best day. Everywhere went the bird were just all over me, Leisa couldn't believe it, wished they would do that with her. I think its a "they know who is comfortable with birds" thing. But I had the best time with the breeding pair of sun conures, they were giving me major kisses, I sooooo wish I could have had them.

An amazing breeding pair of ecclectus. King Parrots, Princess Parrots, all colours of ringnecks, Alexandrines (real beauties), galah's, cockatoo's, green cheek conures, quakers, all the little budgie canary type birds, on and on. I was in paradise.

Scary though. I was looking at the IRN's all different avaries of all different stages etc. The breeding avaries, there were parents with youngsters, I was looking ... and spotted a bird with a grey shadow around the neck and black flash appearing just above the eye, like Kai has.

I said to the breeder "oh is that one probably going to turn out to be a male?" .. uuum "No, she said, thats the breeding female. :shock: Then in another cage a blue this time not a green. "That one there! that looks like it might get a ring in later?", .. "umm, No again, thats also the breeding female.

Now I could see the full grown male with the ring in and those just starting to get their black flecks of ring coming. But what I thought looked like kai that had dark shadow around the bottom of the neck, were infact the breeding females.

I turned to Leisa and gulped ! you know what .. kai just might be a female.

And then I am told that even though kai is 15 months old and going through his first full on complete and disastrous moult that he won't get his ring in until at least 3 years of age :( omg! :shock: what if .. Kai is
a girl.

I couldn't imagine it though. I just feel so strongly that he is a boy, his actions etc. but then ?? how do I know how a boy IRN acts ?? and the breeder said he was 70% sure and more sure of him than any other of this sibblings that he would be the boy of the bunch , or was he just saying that to sell me a bird :shock:

I dont care .. boy or girl really .. but I have always looked at Kai as a boy :shock: GULP!

you guys have all seen pictures of kai many times.. do you think he looks like a he or she .. I know its impossible to really tell, but HELP :shock: LOL !
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Mazziemom

Post by Mazziemom »

Just to make you more nervous...

Buddy got his ring at his 2 year molt ;)

Athena
Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

I like the Grey-Green Rainbows, they look great.

As for Kai, if Kai is a boy, he will get his ring when he is 2 years old.
julies

Post by julies »

I just had one off my aviary green ringnecks, ring out and he was 3 and ahalf years old, mind you everyone thought he was a she.
all this time I have had him in with another male wondering why they would not breed.
kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

Sigh! .. he could very well be a girl .. I guess I better stop being so sure he is a he and keep an open mind again .. might end up being a kai-lee *giggle* but still I just can't imagine it .. just seems so boy like for some reason.
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

hehehe Kia can be a feminine name too. The surest way pre-ring way to know is to have him DNA tested. Of course if it doesn't matter... :lol: Well if he ends up a she, she still is a pretty bird :wink:

Dani and Prinny
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Wow... if Baby turned out to be a boy that would REALLY frig with my head.

I have NEVER pondered the notion she was a boy, EVER.

She is my baby girl :cry:

That would freak me out hehe. :shock:

I'd have to get to know her in a whole new way. This ever happened to anyone?
~ Mikaela Sky

Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

I'll let you know in about two years :p

I think you can tell when they are about a year old. If they start doing that dance that boys do or whatever. I'm pretty sure about my older babies but the ones born a few months ago I'm not quite sure.
kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

What dance ? tell me tell me.. I want to know boys behaviour so I can look out for it
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

Some of my babies are doing the dance at 11 weeks old :shock:

Kyria, the males display to the females, otherwise known as the 'mating dance'. The spread their wings out from the body and move their heads from side to side whilst flashing (pinning) their eyes. They usually make a few low noises while doing it.
jen5239
Community Greeter

Post by jen5239 »

I wonder if this what Byndi does when he's "growling" at me. Does it sound like they're growling?? I'm not sure if he does the wing thing, but he does growl and pin.
kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

Thanks Jeremy .. no mating dance .. yet anyway
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

julie

Post by julie »

we were told by the pet shop indie was a girl because he was older and did not have a ring we had him for 2 years before he got the red ring.
julie

Post by julie »

what are the lorri like i heard a lot of bad things like how they poop very far ect
kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

Jeremy ! guess what ! .. guess what ! I saw it .. the dance .. kai was out on his stand jabbering away and I started talking back .. he got so excited and put his shoulders out and started bobbing his head from side to side, making a dull quacking(hard to explain) kind of call, just after he made what was like a sicking up motion .. omg! looks so good .. :D

Julie ! they are amazing birds, very active and fun, they are like little acrobats and very cheeky, they eat hanging upside down as they do in the wild, but yep their poop is watery because they are pre-dominantly nectar eaters (gruit and special lori nectar) no seed. unless its in a little bit of grain bread etc. Some owners feed more nectar powder (which the lori's dunk in a dedicated water bowl) which helps to keep the poop from being so runny.

Cheers !
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

Hehe, yup, that sounds like the dance all right. Young Kai is a boy :wink:
kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

I've tried to cap it on video, will post what I did get soon .. but it is no where near as great as the dancing he did earlier.. how lovely to see :D thanks for telling me so I knew what to look for and imagine him doing it just after I asked you about it .. hehehe .. I love my birds sooo much.
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

Thanks again Jeremy I have posted a movie of kai under the movie board :D
Angie
---------