IRN interaction

Moderator: Mods

xxleahxx

IRN interaction

Post by xxleahxx »

Hi All
just a few questions, i bought my 10 week old IRN home 3 days ago, have made a bit of progress, it will take fruit and veges from me but will only eat if i hold it , how long does it take for a baby to learn how to hold things themselves? It will also sit on my shoulder but when sitting on the lounge would much rather sit on the top of the lounge than on my shoulder and trys to run from my hand if i try to pat it while its on the top of the lounge... Any suggestions as to make this bird comfortable with sitting on/being with me? and how long a day should my new bird be let out of his cage?
Thankyou :D
Molossus2

Re: IRN interaction

Post by Molossus2 »

Let the bird settle in with you and your routine. Do not let him out during this time as it's too much for now. Once it's familiar with you it's easier to put him out and pet him. Always approach with your hand below his body and whilst in full view of the bird. An up to down movement from above his head is likened to an aggressive act. When he bonds with you he will know you are not a threat when you do this.
xxleahxx

Re: IRN interaction

Post by xxleahxx »

iv been letting him out but only to stay with me, he is not allowed his own free time out of the cage yet, he is happy to step up onto my hand and i have no problems getting him out of the cage, but once hes out he wants to just wants to explore the room and i dont think he should be allowed to do this yet? this is the 4th day iv had him.. i just want to know that once he has settled in and got to know me will he want to be with me wherever i am in the house or just explore himself?