chew on first sight

Moderator: Mods

evaleen

chew on first sight

Post by evaleen »

(umm... to have things clear, its not an IRN i'm talking about, but its about my moustache parakeet. theyr said to be quite similar, so i thought mayb u guys could help...)
kiboo is panic stricken of humans. but it is a little less panicky in front of me.

its this behavior that i'm curious about: whenever i come close to his cage, its like someone has switches on a 'hyper switch'.
it loses it and starts a chewing frenzy on everything it can find that isnt food or meat. it starts chewing on its cage bars, toys, even the food bowl like there is no tomorow.

is this normal? or it is just trying to intimidate me? or is it venting out its anger on the toys?
(confused) :?
Eva
Molossus2

Re: chew on first sight

Post by Molossus2 »

The bird has had negative experiences with humans. How old is this bird?
evaleen

Post by evaleen »

(u bet... he was heavily mistreated in his previous home) :cry:
kiboo is 2.5years old i think. mayb even 3.(but not more than that)

(i'v written about this poor little bird in the moustache parakeet section... if u want to, u cuold check that out....
but i'm warning u tho... its pretty long....)
(and i'm some what embarrassed about that... sorry...) :oops:

thanks for the swift reply! :D
Eva
Molossus2

Post by Molossus2 »

If you go about your routine feeding / cleaning and talking to her she will come around. Be slow and deliberate in your movements. When she calms down increase your attentiveness. If she stresses stop. Just go about showing her you are an essential member of her flock. Patience is the solution and if you are up to it you will succeed.
evaleen

Post by evaleen »

i'm doing exactly that. thank you! i'l keep my fingers crossed!
(its a bit funny actually... my mom says, "its showing u whats in store for u if u try to mess with it") :shock:
:lol:
Eva