loud birds?

Moderator: Mods

Lags

loud birds?

Post by Lags »

ok. I have 2 ringnecks, 1 male , one female. They live in the same cage and get along ok. They live in the loungeroom in the house and are hand tame. my question is why do they chirp flat out all day? they are driving me crazy, and it doesn't seem to matter what we do, they just scream all day. I am seriously going crazy with them.
dog_glenn123

Re: loud birds?

Post by dog_glenn123 »

Hi there,

How long have you had them for they usually once settled do that at sun rise and set,
Like most if not all parots.

Are they flighty when you walk past there cage?
And how are they when let out of the cage?

Thanks Glenn
Lags

Post by Lags »

we have had the female 3 years and the male 2 years. He is getting his ring, well its almost complete now. we love them heaps and play with them. They aren't scared of us, and there wings are clipped as we had a bad experience with our first one flying off into the sunset. They seem to be like this all day, except when they are sleeping. I mean, they do have quiet periods when they are awake, but its not when we are doing anything inparticular, just whenever they feel like being quiet.
They have heaps of toys, we feed them all the good fruit and veg we can, but they seem to be very annoyed about something?
Lilu86

Post by Lilu86 »

Remember that parrots whether small or large are designed to be very vocal. The times when we find them less vocal are usually when they are feeding, interacting with each other or sleeping. If the birds dont have enough enrichment and stimulation they will choose to make noise to fill the boredom regardless of the time of day. Having another bird with them simply isnt always enough. Plenty of foraging toys, chew things, space to excercise and be active will curb some of the noise. Outside stimulation will also often set them off, especially other parrots of any species flying by. Other than that you may just have two very vocal birds, join the club :)
Sianna and the girls,

Lily, 09, Green female
Lulu, 07, Turquoise female
Lags

Post by Lags »

yeah, i think you are right. we play with them alot, have them out of the cage whenever we are home, but i am beginning to accept that they are just noisy little fellas. i have a varied lorikeet who lives next to them, and he has taken to copying their chirping, and seems to sdend them into a frenzy when he copies their calls. Very cute/funny, except when you are on the phone!