am i doing the right thing

Moderator: Mods

azmat

am i doing the right thing

Post by azmat »

hi i have my irn he is 11 months old and now he is been here with me from 2 months first he was not eating his food in my hands but now he eat from my hand but not step up in to my hands when he have his reward i mean seed then he go away from me and come back for the next click when he finish, i am using the clicker from one month but he still shy and dont like to stay when there is no click , his cage is in living room i talk to him about 30 minutes and i watch the tv for 4 hours when he is in cage but he still love to keep distance dunno why
the main points are ?
for ho long i should use clicker
when he will step up
please help with some more tips also thanks alot in advance
ellieelectrons

Re: am i doing the right thing

Post by ellieelectrons »

I'm thinking that it might be time then to start target training. If you can click when the bird's beak touches the target. You start with the target reasonably close to the bird and then start moving it gradually further away. When your bird is confident with that, you can place the target closer and closer to your hand and eventually position it in such a way that your bird has to step up to reach the target.

Good luck & best wishes.

Ellie.
azmat

Post by azmat »

thanks bro but i am using my finger as a target and saying yess instead of click he is too close but not when he finish the treat
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi azmat

So is he stepping on your finger to get the treat? Is your problem that he won't step up at all or that he steps up to get the treat and then runs away?

I don't clicker train my guys, I just say "good boy" / "good girl" instead of the clicker and then follow up with a reward. To train a bird to step up, I find out what their fav foods are and make sure I have them cut up into really, really small portions (so that they won't get full too quickly). I show them the food and I start by giving them the food for just taking a step towards my hand.... When they are getting more and more used to being close to my hand, I will make it so that they have to step up in order to get the food from me. Hope that makes sense.

If your problem is that your bird is stepping up and then running away I'm not quite sure what to suggest other than I think if you do it over and over again it will be more inclined to stay on your finger, especially if you keep rewarding it for staying on your finger. Gradually the trust will build.

Ellie.
azmat

Post by azmat »

thanks bud the pb is that he didnot stepup at all he just tush the target and get th treat ,when i put my finger near him and show him a target he not step up just chasing me with cute eyes and waiting fo me to give him a teat without stepup lol but i think it will take time to stepup i will kep trying thanks for your help buds
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

When he's ready you need to move the target (or the treat depending on how you do it) so that he can't get it unless he steps up or at least start with one foot on your hand. If you have a t-perch you can make your hand an extension of the perch which may make it easier for your bird.

Ellie.
azmat

Post by azmat »

thats what i was looking for that will work i will try it today thanks fo your help
azmat

Post by azmat »

hi there i did try to make extention from my one hand but he start biteing it i donno what to do he never bite me before and today he did any help please
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

How hard was the bite? He may have just been getting it to see if it was safe to step on. Did you manage not to react when he did it?

Well done to you with the training... It sounds like you are working at your bird's pace and you should be commended for that. Sounds like you are being really patient.

Ellie.
azmat

Post by azmat »

will i thik you are right he was trying to check that if its safe i did mistake and shake my hands ,
i am still trying hope will be ok today i will let you know thanks mate