Advice needed on possible introduction of a new female

Moderator: Mods

Wessel Gordon

Advice needed on possible introduction of a new female

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Hi everyone

My one IRN female passed on a few weeks ago and her male seems to be very out of sorts about it. They shared a cage with another pair of IRN's so her male isn't alone physically but he tends to keep to one side and I noticed increased chasing and arguing between him and the other male after the female died. Is it feasible to get another female to settle them all down again since it seemed like they lived in peace when there were an equal number of males and females?
ringneck
Site Admin

Re: Advice needed on possible introduction of a new female

Post by ringneck »

Wessel Gordon,

I am really sorry your female died, that’s really a shame. If the birds were coupled then I say go for another female. You might want to separate the new female for a bit before you introduce her into the flock of three birds.

Take a smaller cage and place the new female there and keep it near the three other birds until you are sure they all are accustomed to each other. Then after a few days or weeks, depending on how you feel the birds will react to her, place her into the cage. There might be some quarrels but this is typical pecking order stuff the birds will sort out. If the birds become very aggressive, then remove the female and continue keeping her next to them and try again.

If you find that no matter what you do they all continue to fight, remove all four of them into a new room, or new environment, and introduce them together—this way they all four will cling to each other.

Hope this helps my friend :wink: ,
IMRAN-C
Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Thanks Imran

My real concern is the other female since she's very territorial when it comes to her food bowl and could be the same about her cage with a strange female. She's very possessive of her food and only her male is allowed to join her when eating so I had to take the precaution of putting an extra food bowl in to make sure the unmated male at least gets a chance to eat undisturbed, not that it really works all the time but the bowls are far apart enough so she can't guard them both at once.
Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Hi again

I recently discovered my only remaining female is incubating her first ever clutch of eggs so I'm going to wait with introducing any new bird for the near future.

Wessel