Concern: IRN spitting up!

Moderator: Mods

sheena

Post by sheena »

Hello all!

I am new to this board, but have found it just in time to ask a very important question!

I've had my IRN (his name is Mitu) for over 14 years now. Just today however, I have noticed that as he plays with his bell, he has been spitting up a white gooey substance in small quantities, but then as it comes to the tip of his beak, he swallows it again. He does not appear to be in any pain, and does not make any choking noises. Before this, he has eaten his seeds, and in between playing with his bell, he has eaten a carrot, and played with his water. This is the first time I've seen this happen, and I don't know if it is normal for IRNs to do this. If anyone can help me out, I'd really appreciate it!
brownbeak

Post by brownbeak »

that sorta sounds like a symptom of a parrot disease I was reading about the other day. I suggest you talk to a parrot breeder for advice, if that doesnt help, I would ring up a veterinarian, query them on his problem and they will give you advice. Don't worry to much, I didn't read anything about that disease being fatal. Hope that helps :wink:
Pepi, our supposed green indian ringneck has a brownbeak,orange eyelids, and flesh coloured feet. Strange I thought :-)
sheena

Post by sheena »

Thank you for your reply! I am going to try to call a veterinarian tomorrow. As well, I searched on the internet, and found the following:

Parakeets don't have presents like rings or flowers to bring their loved ones. So they bring them food. Parakeets don't have hands, so they eat the seed, carry it in their stomach to their partner, regurgitate it back up, and then pass it mouth to mouth to their partner....It's the partner sharing regurgitated food or making the motions.
http://www.lisashea.com/petinfo/article ... tship.html

I'm not sure how reliable this source is, but it would explain his fondness of the bell, and no other symptoms. Has anyone heard of this behaviour?
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Hello Sheena,

Welcome to this forum.

It could be a disease; however, I don’t think that’s what’s wrong with your Ringneck. Take him to the vet to be sure though; brownbeak is right, nothing wrong with an extra vet check up. :wink:

More than likely your male Ringneck is in love with his bell. Parrots regurgitate as a sign on affection. It’s like a gift for the bell.

Take care & keep us updated.

I.C.