Help with my IRN

Moderator: Mods

PerryTheParrot

Help with my IRN

Post by PerryTheParrot »

Hey guys
I recently bought a new IRN 11 weeks old had him for 2 days.
He is lovely loves to eat apples and such.
But he is so scared of me.
Also I got him on my hand once and I was feeding him
an apple and all of the sudden he bit me
and it HURT it didn't draw blood but it left a mark.
I was deciding whether or not to get a IRN
or a quaker.
I have experience with quakers from relatives but
I kind of regret not getting a quaker.
Any idea's guys?
What should I do to start taming him.
Also how should I teach "step-up" command
Blueberrybird

Re: Help with my IRN

Post by Blueberrybird »

Well hi! I am a new irn owner as well, bought my 3 month old home at the end of June. I stArted opening the cage door and putting small toys at the top of his cage to get him to come out, he loves going up there and playing. Mine still bites. But not as hard. I will pick him up every few days and move him to a different room where he can't see his cage, and set him near me, when he is on the floor is the only time I can get him to step up.I've noticed when he is away from his cage he doesn't bite, as much. Mine Is still scared, and when I carry him back to the cage he starts biting much harder as soon as the cage is in sight. This forum is awesome. Read some of the threads on training and you will get great advise. These people are so nice and willing to help novices like us! Good luck, I was really scared at first, but once you get him away from his cage a few times you'll feel much better.
PerryTheParrot

Re: Help with my IRN

Post by PerryTheParrot »

Blueberrybird wrote:Well hi! I am a new irn owner as well, bought my 3 month old home at the end of June. I stArted opening the cage door and putting small toys at the top of his cage to get him to come out, he loves going up there and playing. Mine still bites. But not as hard. I will pick him up every few days and move him to a different room where he can't see his cage, and set him near me, when he is on the floor is the only time I can get him to step up.I've noticed when he is away from his cage he doesn't bite, as much. Mine Is still scared, and when I carry him back to the cage he starts biting much harder as soon as the cage is in sight. This forum is awesome. Read some of the threads on training and you will get great advise. These people are so nice and willing to help novices like us! Good luck, I was really scared at first, but once you get him away from his cage a few times you'll feel much better.
Oh I see.
I will try to take him away from his cage yeah we have to teach them the step up command.
Hopefully someone can tell us how to just go about doing that!
Good luck with you and your baby! :)