Why won't she talk???

Moderator: Mods

carrie

Why won't she talk???

Post by carrie »

She started the wolf whistle at six months but another six months later and no words! She picks up different whistles we teach her in a couple of hours but no matter how often we say things to her she just whistles back at us. Every now and again we hear a little mumble that might be a word but it's nothing compared to what I have heard on all the videos posted on this forum. Will she ever talk? Do some irns just whistle but never talk?They sound so cute when they talk - I really hope she talks!!! She must talk!!!!!! Just kidding - but any tips would be great.
Datsun and Family

Post by Datsun and Family »

I know its frustrating but hang in there. Dats started talking at 7 months but a friends birds I know have yet to speak at 3 years old.

Some never talk some never stop! :wink:
-Chamon-

Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

She may never speak, just as my 7 month old may not. No quarantees. Some IRN's never speak a word, others have upwards of 200-250 word vocabulary.

We both have young birds, they live 30 plus yrs. Maybe our baby's will talk, maybe they wont... that is up to them.

I wish Baby would say 'Hey' but other than that I really dont care if she ever really talks. It isnt like you can converse with them. They are mimicing and have no clue what the words mean anyway so no biggie to me.
~ Mikaela Sky

Datsun and Family

Oh now Mikaela you know thats not always true!

Datsun says "kiss?" then leans in for one and makes kissie noises. She says "Good Morning" but never past 10am. Dats will say "Yuuuum" and that is a hint that shes hungry. For a while I was so excited thinking she was saying mum.... nope shes just thinking of her belly :roll:

Datsun astounds me with her ability to use words in the right context. My favourite at the moment is "are you happy?" I have no idea where it came from but she says it when its quiet and never more than once a day, she asked her dad when he gave her a cuddle this morning and he laughed then told her "well baby Im going to work so not really but you can stay home and play with mummy all day. How does that sound?" to which she replied "huh... ok, kiss?" :lol: 8)
-Chamon-

jen5239
Community Greeter

Post by jen5239 »

Chamon,
I think I'm going to start the Datsun fan club!! I love her! She has to be the coolest bird around. I think you need to give classes for the other IRNs out there and we can all come and learn from Ms. Datsun. Have you gotten her humming Christmas carols yet??

Hugs,
Jen
carrie

Post by carrie »

I agree! If Datsun ever has babies can you please send one over to Australia???
Datsun and Family

Aawww thanks guys *blush* :oops:
-Chamon-

kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Yeah I agree, Datsun Rocks !

I agree with D&F though Mik. Kai, although he doesn't speak yet, will lean over and kiss me when I ask for one. He definately understands the word Kiss and the action of kissing. Also like the step up, they do learn words and what they mean. :wink:
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Well never really thought about it like that, baby leans in to kiss me when asked too.

She also gives me 5 when I ask.

Hrm... are they merely mimicing? Great, now ya'll have me re-thinking!
-pout-

When I say Baby do you want to go outside or do you want a treat, she comes to her cage door, eager to step up even if Im not there yet.

Hrm. :?

I'll have to give this more thought.

Because I have such a great love for her, maybe I put a wedge there so I didnt over-relate to her like some wierdo cat lady :oops:

I did a test and put Chief and Baby on the stand. I said Baby, you want Momma to put Chief up and she IMMEDIATELY ran him off, when before they were playing fine.

Ok, this is starting to freak me out hehe
~ Mikaela Sky

kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

;) great aren't they , sooo intelligent. They understand things I have no doubt. They also make choice, especially about who they like and dislike.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

Bappy says kiss and makes a kissy noise and puts her beak to my lips. She says all combinations of bappy kiss and froggy. Froggy cant speak yet so he just makes the kissy noise and pecks my lips.

When they say their own name it's hard to know if they are mimiking or just practising or just saying it for some other reason. If you DO teach them the use of the word assosicated with an action they will learn it. I read somewhere the key to tell the difference between mimicking and understanding the word is when they use it. Like if they say up when they want up.

I thought she might have been mimiking the names but when I was driving home once I was talking to my friend in the car most of the way home bappy sat quietly on my shoulder. I decided to ask her if she wanted to go home and see Chicken and she screamed. I talked to my friend about it and we were surprised. I asked again and each time i mentioned another birds name she screamed.

Another time at home bappy flew to me when the other birds were back in the bird room, they usually are never seperate so I asked her "Bappy where's froggy?" She screamed her little birdie head off and froggy flew to bappy from the bird room, then she said "Froggy"
IMR4N

Post by IMR4N »

Great topic people although I’m sure we have discussed this before..

I think a bird will only speak if it thinks it is necessary for it survival in the wild they will make noises like predators to warn off other predators from them. You guys should check out this CAG Einstein he knows what he is

doing. http://www.metacafe.com/watch/26051/talking_parrot/.

Merry Christmas to all