New To Breeding IRN's

Moderator: Mods

Shrek&Fiona

New To Breeding IRN's

Post by Shrek&Fiona »

So I already introduced myself in the other section. I have an Indian Ringneck that is approximately 4-5yrs old. I got him around 4 yrs ago and his ring wasnt in yet so I have to guess at age. his name is Shrek. When I got him he was in his bluffing stage and since I was working alot I wasn't able to spend the time with him that I needed to to get him through it and turn him into a pet bird. Instead of keeping him in a pet bird sized cage without being able to treat him as a true pet I have decided to put him in an aviary and give him a mate. Much kinder life for him. I am getting a hexagonal aviary tomorrow measuring 2 meters high by 1.5 meters in diameter which is not my ideal aviary but I live in a rental house so I have to make do with small things but I think this will be big enough for one pair of IRN's. I have access to some very cheap blue birds from a breeder that lives nextdoor to my other half (cheap because they count him as family so by extension I am too). I am just wondering, does colour matter when pairing the birds or will they accept any colour as readily as another? Also, nestboxes, what is the best way to go with this? And do they need multiples to choose from in different spots or will just one do? And where do I put them?

My plan for introducing them is to quarantine her first (obviously) then put her in another large cage next to him for a couple of weeks while i properly set up the aviary. Then I was going to introduce them both to the new space at the same time to ensure there are no territorial issues. Will this be good? Or do I need to do anything else. It's currently winter here but both birds are acclimatised to the outdoors already. This should mean that they have alot of time to get used to each other before breeding season.

Also, how old should a female be before she starts breeding? To ensure she doesnt run into laying problems or other health problems.

Sorry for such a long post. I just want to get it right.
If vision is the only validation then most of my life isn't real.
rod038

Re: New To Breeding IRN's

Post by rod038 »

I would get a hen that is 2 years old and she will be ready to breed this year. The colour of the Hen shouldnt matter unless you want to breed a specific colour.

Place 1 nest box in the new aviary. Make sure it is secure, High up in the aviary and that you can get access to it to check inside without having to disturb them too much. A next box size of 300 x 300 square and 600 high will work.

It can be hit and miss to see if the birds will be compatable, but most times they will settle down. Very important to watch them closely when they go into together for the first time to make sure they dont fight.

A suspended cage 900 x 900 x 1800 is a good size to breed a pair in and it has the advantage of keeping cleaner so you arent disturbing the birds having to clean the cage.
Shrek&Fiona

Post by Shrek&Fiona »

Ok, so I though I already posted this but I'm not seeing it so it must not have worked. My, basic two rules for introducing any two animals to each other is do it on neutral territory and do it when I'm home for a weekend so I have alot of time to haunt them and make sure they get along.

Good to know about the colour not being an issue. I read on a website that it was but that didn't make a whole lot of sense since how would you get mutations if it was a problem? So i figured i would double check.

I'm thinking of making my own nest box so what would be the ideal shape? I have seen some nest boxes that are actually hollowed out logs, would they be better? Or would a rectangle, or boot, or Z shape be better? Also, what is the best nesting material? What about humidity? How do you keep that up and do you even need to? The area in which I live is pretty humid. Somewhere between 60-80% usually but lately closer to 80%.

I am working around a few contraints. I can't go very far since I have to buy a new car (can only really trust mine to get me to work and back right now) and money is tight due to having to buy a new car so I'm torn as what to do about obtaining a hen. Do I go with the breeder I trust, get a much younger hen, and wait. Or do I buy an older hen from the guy that sometimes sells his birds at the markets? IRN breeders are hard to find in my area.

If I do end up getting the younger hen I am assuming that putting them in the same aviary but just not providing a nest box will not be enough to ensure they will not breed. I will pretty much have to keep them separate till she is two right?

Sorry for all the questions.
rod038

Post by rod038 »

I made my own nest boxes which are 600mm high x 300mm x 300mm. The inspection door is about 200mm up. I use a mix of peat moss and untreated pine shavings which I soak in water and then sqeeze the excess water out. Pack this to about 10cm in the bottom of the box. The birds will move it around and may even remove some from the box. I also have a water bowl the birds can bathe in and this allows the hen to regulate the humdity by taking water on her feathers into the box. There is some wire mesh going from the hole inside the box to the base so the birds can easily climb in and out. The hole is about 8cm round and placed high up in the box.

You can really make whatever shape you want to. I made the one that was easiest. Since then though I have found a local man that makes the boot style box and sells them for $16.00. I couldnt make one for that, so in future I will be getting them from him.

My preference would be for the younger hen. If you buy an older hen she may have problems and that is why she is being sold. I like to buy my hens as raising 2 year olds. Some hens will breed as a 1 year old. I have had 1 year old hens lay and raise babies no problems. If I have a 1 year old hen I would put her to a mature breeder cock bird.

If you get a young hen put her strait in the aviary with the Cock bird. They will only breed in the breeding season and if a nest box is present. I put all my pairs in the same avairy after breeding season and 2 months prior to the start of the breeding season I pair up the birds in their breeding cages with no nest boxes. I keep my eye on them and see that they get along. This gives them a chance to bond before breeding season. This works even if I am breaking up pairs from the previous season. Some breeders leave them paired up all year round.

If you find they arent getting that close to each other. Give them some food they have to share like half a passionfruit. This may encourage them to get along.

Where abouts are you?
Shrek&Fiona

Post by Shrek&Fiona »

I'm in Coffs Harbour in NSW.

I was also thinking, if I get the younger hen then she has alot of time to well and truly get used to me before she starts to breed which would make nest inspections less problematic. Since I only have one pair I will be the 'leave them together all year around' type of breeder, its just much more convenient and that way they don't have to keep getting used to each other every year.

Thanks heaps for the information about the nesting. These are exactly the things I'm not sure about. I have bred birds before but the little details differ so much from bird species to bird species.
rod038

Post by rod038 »

Leaving together is the best way if you intend only breeding that pair. I only put mine in another aviary for excercise when they are not breeding. There are some big bird sales through out the year around NSW which have dozens of Indian Ringnecks for sale as well as cheap nest boxes. They are all finished for this year though unfortunately. I am in the Central West. Also look at the Petlink website they have heaps of birds for sale on there and some may be in your area. You should be able to pick up a young hen for under $50 if your not worried about colour.