Need Help Taming older parrots

Moderator: Mods

Punjabi Mr

Need Help Taming older parrots

Post by Punjabi Mr »

Hi Everyone,
Got a pair of great ringnecks ,One male and the other female. They both seem around 2years old and have not been tamed i believe. They seem fine around my family until you get close to the cage, the are very avoident at that stage and the male screams alot when you try to talk to them. They obviously won't allow you to touch them , the female as occasionaly taken food from us through the bars but the male does not seem to like it. They just recently have started to mate so presume i should be expecting some babies :) ... but as for the taming need help what approach can i take and would it still be possible to tame these older couple??
kaiser&abbey

Re: Need Help Taming older parrots

Post by kaiser&abbey »

Hi Punjabi Mr
What your doing sound right. Keep associating yourself with positive experiences for them (foods the best example).
It does take a long time (for older IRNs especially), that havent been tamed to understand that your not a threat. Just remember you are much bigger than they are, therefore you are a possible and probable predator in their eyes. It takes time.
Hope you have some little ones soon :)
Donna

Post by Donna »

If you are breeding these birds don't tame them. If you want to makes pets out of them seperate them. It's very difficult to have it both ways. Donna :)
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
kaiser&abbey

Post by kaiser&abbey »

didnt even think of that donna lol. very true. although i have a breeding pair that are completely tame, maybe a lucky exception
good luck
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

I have a male and female together in a cage and both are tame... but they were both handraised and we bought one first, had her for a year and tamed her before we bought the second. They haven't bred yet... and I don't know if we will let them or not... Might just play it by ear. Personally, I like the fact that they have another birdie companion.

Ellie.
Punjabi Mr

Post by Punjabi Mr »

thanks everybody.... yes still trying :) they lovely birds.. they have been mating but still no presence of eggs. Just got to wait now :)
DEEDEE

Post by DEEDEE »

I also have a Male & Female in the same cage, no problem behaviour now apart from eating everything in sight when they are out, it has took a few years for them to trust me, the female is more trust worthy and is the youngest. I would say they are 90% tame as they will go on my hands and take food, as for breeding they are at it like Rabbits, wow they sure do make a noise.