Can Somebody please help?

Moderator: Mods

Nettie

Can Somebody please help?

Post by Nettie »

Hello :)
I have an indian ringneck (we think male) who would now be 18months old, got him when he was 3 months...not hand raised!
I handled him a lot when we got him, he has a big cage, toys, rope perches, gets fed premium food and quite often gets treats of fruit, nuts and veggies.
He is never shut in his cage, only when we put him to bed of a night. We work during the day but he gets left with the cage door open so he can come and go as he pleases and I leave the radio on for him. He does talk. I was always able to pick him up and give him kisses and pet him but
the last 3-4 months he has become very vicious towards me. When I go near him when he is on his cage he fluffs his head up and pins his eyes at me, then he lowers his head and runs at me to attack! The only time I could pick him up is when he was on the floor and not on his cage, but now he is starting to do it even when off his cage.
Can anyone please tell me why he has developed this behaviour and if/when it will pass?? I thought maybe adolescence??
It's very disheartening when I love picking him up and giving him kisses and cuddles but can no longer do that :?
julie

Re: Can Somebody please help?

Post by julie »

welcome to bluffing :lol: i shouldnt laugh but your description makes me think of mine. when mine do it to me i make a point of not backing down, i kinda treat mine like kids do to other kids (and some adults :shock: ) i dont back away and i say ooh whatcha gunna do hey tough guy, you dont scare me. I also use my index finger to get their attention because they seem to watch what my finger is doing and if they still think they are tough enough and lunge at me i give them a little touch on the beak, just enough for them to realise that yes they tried to bite me and no im not backing down and when they do it again i just put my finger up and say no again. The only thing is now my alexandrian Mika is arguing with my husband and daughter because he learnt to say the things i say to him. While it is hillarious to hear its a little sad that they are arguing back. I would be limiting his out of cage time while he is being naughty too.
Nettie

Post by Nettie »

Thanx for the response :)
So how long does this last and will he be back to being friendly when this 'phase' passes? Gee it's just like having another child ah?? :lol:
Like I said it's been about 3 months already, hope it doesn't go on to much longer :(
Buddy
julie

Post by julie »

its something that will come and go, a lot depends on how we handle it. My boy indie is super friendly and i have had him for around 8yrs and he will still try bluffing.