Need advice on my new baby! Possible wean regression?

Moderator: Mods

petty85

Need advice on my new baby! Possible wean regression?

Post by petty85 »

Hello,
I have only had my IRN for around a week now, he is 3 months old and im not sure if he is showing normal behaviour for his age. He is very tame and the breeder i got him from said he was eating seeds and pellets and had just started to be able to eat sunflower seeds. I have been giving him lots of fruit which he loves and i find he is only eating the sunflower seeds (im giving him a small parrot mix so their are not many sunflower seeds in there). I have seen him eat the other seeds and pellets but not often.
Everytime i hold him he wines a lot and especially right at my mouth and has started bopping his head at me. Is this normal behaviour and will it eventually stop? He has also been biting my lips so i have been trying to keep him away from that area.
Some advice would be great thanks :)
ellieelectrons

Re: Need advice on my new baby! Possible wean regression?

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi

All is very normal behaviour for a baby.
petty85 wrote: i find he is only eating the sunflower seeds
Sunflower seeds are like potato chips.... given the opportunity, they will pig out on them and not eat anything else. Personally, I don't have them as part of their regular diet, I just give them occasionally as a treat.
petty85 wrote:Everytime i hold him he wines a lot
When Janey (our blue IRN) was a baby she would do that when I held her and if I spoke to her... it's the way they would interact with their parent if they were parent-raised. It's natural and normal.... and eventually it stops when they mature (and then you wish you could get them to do that for you again).
petty85 wrote:especially right at my mouth and has started bopping his head at me.
This indicates he wants you to feed him. It mimics the motions the bird makes when he is receiving regurgitated food from the parent bird. You may want to try hand feeding some baby parrot food from a spoon especially if you think he isn't eating enough other foods.

Congrats on your little guy. Would love to see some pics.

I miss not having a baby ringie around.

Ellie.
petty85

Post by petty85 »

Thankyou! has made me feel much better. And im going to remove the sunflower seeds and keep them as a treat!
julie

Post by julie »

I have one around 4mths and he does exactly the same only he doesnt bite my mouth he kisses me or headbutts my lips with his beak. He also gives me a good telling off if i dont have anything for the little bugger. He eats whatever I give him but i dont give him a choice.