cage possesive

Moderator: Mods

jaybel2010

cage possesive

Post by jaybel2010 »

hi i am new to this page i have a indian ringneck parakeet and he is aqua blue colour he is called jacob i love him and he loves me when he is on me i have had him 5 months now and he is 17 months old my problem is when the cage is in the room he will try bite me he does tricks and loves time with me but now he can get from the floor back to his cage himself he dont leave his cage unless he has too its always open and he comes and goes freely but today i decided to take the cage out of the room as he is always bored even though i give him toys and he loves mummy so i guess i want to know have i done the right thing bringing his cage back only at bed time as he ignores everthing to be with his cage he is that possesive i got him at 12 months please tell me if i did the right thing :?:
ellieelectrons

Re: cage possesive

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi jaybel

Mine weren't playing with their toys much, like your bird. I think introducing more foraging might help. See this post:
http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... =2&t=11701

Foraging can also make it more desirable for your bird to interact with you.

I personally wouldn't take his cage away as he obviously feels secure in there... but I understand why you did it. As long as your bird doesn't seem really anxious, it's probably ok.

Does your bird have its own outside of the cage play space? I couldn't get by without this for my guys.

Best wishes!

Ellie.

P.S. If you wouldn't mind using some punctuation next time, it makes your post easier to read.