Feathers & Beaks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moderator: Mods

AussieGirl

Feathers & Beaks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by AussieGirl »

First of all, I want to say a BIG thank you to all comments and advice I have received previously relating to other topics.

At the moment, I am a little concerned with my little Aussie. He seems to be losing feathers, in a little line, on top of his head! It's like a stripe about 2cm, on top of his head, where there seems to be feathers missing...

His beak is also still scratchy, and just doesn't look like it should, like it is flaking a bit too...

Before I take him to the vet, does anyone have any idea what this is?

Any advice is great advice :)
AussieGirl
Jodie

Post by Jodie »

Hi,
It sounds like it is stressed if it is plucking feathers. Did you change something? Did it lose a platmate? Birds pluck for various reasons. It could be allergies, intestinal problems, nerves or something more serious like a disease. I am not sure what is the problem with the beak. Before you go to the vet check out http://www.avianbiotech.com They have pictures of various things such as PBFD. You can also request blood kits to test your bird if any of the symptoms match something at a much lower price than the vet. The vet will be more benefical if your bird can be treated. Best of luck. Let us know............
indian ringneck

Post by indian ringneck »

I think Jodie has adressed your answer correctly.
I have mentioned on my site, some facts about "Feather-Plucking" - | http://members.dodo.com.au/~johanp/Feather-Plucking.htm |.

That doesn't sound like feather-plucking to me at all. Do you have another bird? If you don't, or they're never together, then unfortunately, your bird might have PBFD, an incurable disease, or he/she might have another virus disease i've looked up someplace but can't remember where. It's something that makes your bird's head "bald". I'll look up some more on the subject. Until then, I think you should visit your avian vet, in case it might be PBFD :wink: .
indian ringneck

Post by indian ringneck »

I found this>>
http://www.birdsnways.com/wisdom/ww20e.htm

Hope that'll help :wink: .

Seriously, adress your avian vet!
spinoff

Post by spinoff »

online pharmacy - http://www.bestrxpills.com
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Well Kai had a similar thing, his beak looked a little dry at the sides lately and he started dropping a few feathers even larger ones and I have noticed a small line of feathers missing along the top if his head from his nostril back over one side about 2cm long aswell.

But I am guessing he is only starting a molt. After all he is 14 months old and its coming on to summer so I would expect it is simply a molt, I hope it is coz i can't wait to see his beautiful black ring. I would say it sounds more like that, with your bird too, especially seeing as it would be hard for the bird to pluck his head.

What age is your Aussie ?
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

I just found the information below from a search on other posts on molting and it would make sense, because last night I offered kai boiled egg again. Usually he just licks it and turns away. But last night he gobbled down all of it.

From Melika:-

Protien is important since feathers are made of mostly protien. hard-boiled eggs in the shell are a good supplement- especially during moults. They have the perfect ratio of fats, protien and calcium; among other things. We give them quartered, so between the two IRNs one egg lasts four days if given every day.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

If it's only on the top of his head and beak you should get the vet to check for lice/mites. If you see feathers from the rest of his body or if he looks a bit scraggly then it should just be a moult, but keep an eye on it.
Carly

Post by Carly »

The bird isnt rubbing his head between the cage bars or something? funny that they are on top of his head... he cant pluck his own head!