on my shoulder

Moderator: Mods

Turtle

on my shoulder

Post by Turtle »

i got an alexandrine last week, he is 13 weeks old and was hand-reared. i have read that i shouldn't let him perch on my shoulder, but as soon as i open his cage he gets on my hand and heads straight up there. nothing seems to stop him he always wins in the end. what can i do?
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Not sure if it will work with an Alex. or with other birds, but with my Kai, I just placed a wide flat hand in front of him as he tried to head from my hand to my shoulder, if he tried to climb it I would remove it and quickly place it back. If he got to my shoulder I would remove him straight away. If he persisted I would place him on my knee, if he jumped off that I would scoop him up straight away back onto my knee. My persistence paid off and he is rather happy now to be placed on my shoulder only when I want him there. Although he does still have his moods, especially those where he will just think, stuff you I'm going back to my cage, or up to my window stand.

I guess with birds its just alot of continuous hard work, persistence and alot!!! of repetition (which infact is the act of persistence :wink: )

You might have tried all this and still have issues but like we all say, every bird is different and others in our family may have more suggestions for you.

Cheers !
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless