Bitting or bluffing

Moderator: Mods

Indie

Bitting or bluffing

Post by Indie »

Hi, my sweet little Charlie baby, now only 3-4 months old is biting me (trying to) when I try to step up or even put my hands in the cage to change his food etc.

I'm not to happy about this behaviour and have been very careful around Charlie. I don't want to be nicked into the flesh.
Should I avoid giving attention or is there a strategy to go about to get Charlie over doing this. I this a faze that birds go through?

Charlie is ok (and actually likes it) when I pat or scratch his head (only when he's out and on top of his cage)

I am very cautious and haven't been handling Charlie to much these last few weeks.

Please HELP!!! Don't want my bird to become wild and not be able to handle.

Cheers
Charmaine
ellieelectrons

Re: Bitting or bluffing

Post by ellieelectrons »

I'm not an expert on this... but it sounds like bluffing to me as, from what you are saying, Charlie seems to be threatening to bite but mostly not biting.

IRNs can get quite territorial about their cage because it's their home. I generally don't mess with my bird's cage whilst they are in it as sometimes they will try to scare me away.

Do you have another place to interact with Charlie such as a birdie gym? You could try limiting your interactions with him to outside of his cage?

Good luck!

Ellie.
julie

Re: Bitting or bluffing

Post by julie »

bluffing and testing how far he can go. My chic pinky that i kept did the same thing, I put my finger up and say a stern NO if he lunges at me I give him a very light touch on the beak and a stern No. No when he gets a bit narky i just say no and he backs down. When I put my finger up i also put my thumb out so he is watching it as well and if he actually manages to bite thumbs have more meat on them.