What if I wanted to help/volunteer with a breeder near me?

Moderator: Mods

PythonzEve

What if I wanted to help/volunteer with a breeder near me?

Post by PythonzEve »

Ok so my ideal job would be working with animals in a reproductive program, I've always wanted to be part of the breeding and more so the rearing and early life stages of animals. We currently don't have the room or finances to breed on our own but I would just love the experience and I know a lot of breeders are always scurrying around without enough time on their hands...

Does anyone know of any breeders -close- to or more preferably IN Columbus, GA or Phenix City, AL? I googled, but didn't get much luck other than Atlanta, which is 2 hours away!

Thanks in advance!
Jessica

If one refuses to learn and maintains a closed mind, one is thus trapped from the procession of life in their own archaic self-imprisonment. -Jessica McNeely

Because my Rice Crispies told me to! -Unknown

julie

Re: What if I wanted to help/volunteer with a breeder near m

Post by julie »

Sorry to be blunt but I wouldnt count on it. Not many people would let people they dont personally know anywhere near their birds or even into their houses.
Melika

Post by Melika »

My though was that a reputable breeder wouldn't let you near their birds; you pose a bio-security risk!

What about a local zoo? Most zoos have some sort of breeding program and I know ours has volunteers and beginning caretaker internship type things. Our local zoo has parrots. :D
That being said, they may want someone who is in college classes geared towards animal caretaking etc. but no harm in asking!
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
PythonzEve

Post by PythonzEve »

Well I was taking courses for veterinary science when hubby went into the military, so that was my field and still is my dream, just one thing after another happened, the large parts of it was living in Japan, then having a little one. Maybe once my son starts school or something I'll be able to kick my career back in gear, until then I don't have enough time to go to school.

Oh and the nearest real zoo is about 2 hours away... I can't wait to get out of this little town XoP
Jessica

If one refuses to learn and maintains a closed mind, one is thus trapped from the procession of life in their own archaic self-imprisonment. -Jessica McNeely

Melika

Post by Melika »

Well I've found this site http://www.birdbreeders.com/

Perhaps you can find a closer breeder through there. A breeder might (after your bird has a clear bill of health) let you help OR simply take babes home for hand-raising for them instead of being at their location. Which would also make an occasional two hour drive not so bad methinks?
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
PythonzEve

Post by PythonzEve »

That would still be cool! Good idea Melika :P
Jessica