babys ringnecks help!!

Moderator: Mods

xamago

babys ringnecks help!!

Post by xamago »

hi i got two baby ringneck in the nest they are nearly 3 weeks and are getting little spikes of feathers coming through but one can't stand up yet it's legs are pushed to the side and is constantly doing the splits.
now it can't open it's eyes. it could a day or two ago but now it is covord in like a dryed mucus or somthing.

please help i don't know what to do!!
Attachments
i couldn't get picture of her eys but another one with the one that can't stand up
i couldn't get picture of her eys but another one with the one that can't stand up
the one on the right is the one i am worried about! as you can see it is doing the splits
the one on the right is the one i am worried about! as you can see it is doing the splits
Melika

Re: babys ringnecks help!!

Post by Melika »

Splayed leg correction (the breeders I knew used this as well):
http://www.2ndchance.info/spraddle.htm
http://www.poultryhelp.com/spraddle.html

Try taking a warm damp paper towel and dabbing away the mucous?
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Poor little guy! Good luck! I hope that works for you. Keep us posted.

Is he eating ok?

Ellie.
xamago

Post by xamago »

ellieelectrons wrote:Poor little guy! Good luck! I hope that works for you. Keep us posted.

Is he eating ok?

Ellie.
well my male is hand raised and the hen flew away a week ago so i can feed the babys but leave them with the dad.the dad feeds the ones that can stand but not much food goes to the other one.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Has the splayed leg a recent problem or has it been like that for some time?

I had a chick a couple of years ago with splayed leg. I got it early, placed her in a sponge brace and slowly brought the legs together in a normal position. She was only 7 days old though, not 3 weeks.
Here is the method I used... spayed leg

If you choose to use a sponge and help repair the legs, do not use normal household sponges as they get hard with moisture and rub on the birds legs. I placed my chick in a very small container so she could not move around and remained in an upright position and packed around her with paper toweling for cushioning. Tried to make her as comfortable as possible.

I hope you little one can be fixed partially if not fully. :)

Oh, and my girl, you would never know she had a problem at all. Perfectly normal bird. :)
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

That's amazing. To be honest, I thought a bird with splayed legs might not survive... so I'm really please to hear they can be mended!

Pink - did you take pics of your little girl?

Ellie.
xamago

Post by xamago »

ellieelectrons wrote:Poor little guy! Good luck! I hope that works for you. Keep us posted.

Is he eating ok?

Ellie.
ok i have taken her from the nest and the only thing i could get to work was a hair band.i can't believe how well it work she can stand up now after only about 7 hours. but does anyone have an idea of how long i should keep it on her because i don't want to take it off in a couple of weeks and find that it goes back to being to the side again. i also havd clean her eyes with more salty water after everyfeed and she is slowly opening her eys wider.

i'm sorry i couldn't get a clear enough picture because she was bobbing her head but trying to keep balance at the same time but this is the best picture i could get.
Attachments
best picture i could get!!
best picture i could get!!
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

I think from memory, I had the bracing on for aprox a week or bit longer. Keep an eye on the band that it does not wear the skin on the legs from constant rubbing. That is where a makeup sponge is good as it it very gentle on the skin and can be replaced when dirty.
Once the legs start to 'heal' they should not go back splayed

Yes Ellie. There is a thread on the forum that I had showing Spongie when I found her in the nest and how she was later I think........will have to search for it.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Here is the thread on Spongie

This is Spongie today...

As you can see, she looks totally normal. I can not visually tell the difference between Spongie and another ringie.

Even if your birds problem is not fixed 100%, it should be far better than if left alone.
:)
xamago

Post by xamago »

update
this is the two babies. the one at the back is the one with the leg problem and still has the band on but it doing a lot better.
Attachments
IMG063.jpg
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

That's fantastic! Well done.

Thanks for the pics of Spongy, Pink.... obviously a very healthy-looking bird. Why is his beak so orange? Is he still young?

Ellie.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Your little baby looks like he is doing well, well done. :)

Ellie, Spongies' photo was taken last year I think, so she would have been around 12 months old.
Coastal-Birds

Post by Coastal-Birds »

Hi
There legs go like this most times when they arnt getting enough calcium.
I would get some calcivit by vetafarm and add to there hand raising mix.
Do this with the legs in what you have for at least 2 weeks.