cant stop nibbling

Moderator: Mods

shabir

cant stop nibbling

Post by shabir »

Hi my irn loves to nibble on my hand or arm when im holding him. The nibble may turn in to a hard bite. I give him treats to distract him but he starts nibbling when he's finished it or may throw it away. Any tips on how to stop this
RicharddSierraa

Re: cant stop nibbling

Post by RicharddSierraa »

Hi, I had an IRN that was very nibbly, best thing to do is to build trust because when he bites you he's trying to tell you that he wants
to get off you and usually just nibbles so you put him back at his cage, usually the training steps will go along the lines of :
1. Building trust
2. Teaching to ''Step Up''
3. Teaching him to stay on your hand (He may take the treat from you and jump of to its cage at the start)
Best way to teach all this is using clicker training, if you do this switch him to a pellet diet, and treat with sunflowers or seeds,
the training goes along the lines of telling him to do something clicking and giving him a treat, try to click right when he does what
you are telling him to do, if he still bites you try blowing at his beak and that will tell him he's doing something wrong.
If you have anymore questions feel free to ask me.
Good luck.
Melika

Re: cant stop nibbling

Post by Melika »

I let Hane nibble, but if he begins nibbling too hard I just shift my hand to let him know it was too much and he'll stop.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay