Young IRNs share a cage?

Moderator: Mods

yoshi

Young IRNs share a cage?

Post by yoshi »

Ok. My husband and I are going to a bird fair this weekend and we won't be getting a bird unless we find a violet juvenile ringneck(I'm hoping having high expectations will make me less disappointed about not getting another FID)..

Here's the issue, we have a 4 month old IRN who is SUPPOSE to be a male. He wasn't sexed, but his head was very flat and the breeder said he really thinks he's a male... haha. So anyway, would it be bad to house them in the same cage? Our cage that Yoshi has now he has only been in for 2 weeks, so he's not too territorial. We only have room in our apartment for one large cage and I won't subject any bird to the other tiny cage we have. Especially if the other one is in a large cage... I feel like that is very unfair.

So. Would it be bad? I was thinking that since he is so young that maybe it could work. But I also don't want to put either bird in any danger.

Thanks for any help!
Melika

Re: Young IRNs share a cage?

Post by Melika »

First you would quarantine a new bird anyway. I think that goes without saying. But I'm saying it anyway.

Second, they would probably get along... for a while. As they get older they will begin to squabble. Even bonded pairs can fight, especially IRNs lol. They aren't the nicest mates.

Sorry the response took so long!
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay