My indian ringneck Buddy

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

buddyindianringneck

My indian ringneck Buddy

Post by buddyindianringneck »

I baught a 2 year old Indian Ringneck from my local pet shop with his cage and it cost me £90. He was used for breeding, and then sent off to the pet shop. I have had him for just under 2 weeks. The first week he was fine with people, and in a couple of days he calmed down completely. But then it seemed like just overnight that he turned into a completely different bird. He now goes for hards, screeches at my approach and turned quite visious. I give him the attention he needs, the right food, and lots of toys to keep him entertained. I just dont know what Im doing wrong? So Im here for some help. Thankyou:)
Attachments
This is my 2 year old Indian Ringneck Buddy
This is my 2 year old Indian Ringneck Buddy
indian ringneck.jpg (7.45 KiB) Viewed 814 times
ellieelectrons

Re: My indian ringneck Buddy

Post by ellieelectrons »

Buddy is a very handsome bird! Congratulations on giving him a new, loving home!

IRNs reach sexual maturity at 2... so I think he is either older than 2 or wasn't used for breeding.

I was reading last night that sometimes birds will allow behaviour that makes them feel uncomfortable when they aren't quite sure what is going on. Once they know what is coming next and what to expect, then they can get difficult and start biting or trying to get away. Birds have very few ways to communicate "no" to us, and biting is the easiest way for them to get that message across.

I think you are going to need to go back to first principles and work to build trust with him.

I published some pointers for developing trust with your bird at this thread:
http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... =7&t=11064

Good luck & best wishes.

Ellie.
Kray Twins

Re: My indian ringneck Buddy

Post by Kray Twins »

It almost sounds like bluffing but the screeching when you come near is not something i've had to deal with (it's usually when i'm away!).

I would agree with the message above and go back to basics. I would imagine that ignoring the screeching and pulling up a chair next to the cage would show the little one that you're not going anywhere even if he screeches. Try not to react to the screeching, when he's quiet talk to him and give him a treat.

As for the biting, unfortunately that isn't an easy one to overcome. You're probably going to get bitten quite a few more times until that goes away, work on the screeching first and try treating him to eventually step up onto your hand. You then need to find a way of distracting him when he's thinking about biting you and rewarding him when he's not.

For me, the distraction came when I saw my bird ducking his head and searching for the ball of a knuckle or a piece of skin he could attack (they're meticulous and very clever!). I would then 'drop' my hand by about half an inch to slightly unbalance him. Within about 3 days the behaviour disappeared for me and I'm now 8 months down the line. The rewarding aspect doesn't necessarily need to be a treat, your voice is as much a reward to the bird as food is (although they would argue for something tastier!).

BTW, he looks amazing. I've not seen a green IRN with as deep a light blue colouring above the 'mane' as yours. Do you have more pictures?

Where are you in the UK?