Water Bottle?

Moderator: Mods

PythonzEve

Water Bottle?

Post by PythonzEve »

Hey all, I've had my IRN Sukha for a couple weeks now and I'm trying to get him used to a water bottle instead of in a cup so he doesn't dirty it. For now I have a cup under it with a little (like, 1/4") water in it because this is what he's used to and I've never seen him drink from the water bottle. I've tried putting peanut butter, yogurt and little bits of fruit on the tip to entice him, but have not yet seen him actually drink from it and don't want to remove the cup until I'm sure he can get hydrated from the bottle.

Any tips, tricks or advice? He also gets plenty of fresh fruit daily as part of his water intake.

Thanks!
Jessica

If one refuses to learn and maintains a closed mind, one is thus trapped from the procession of life in their own archaic self-imprisonment. -Jessica McNeely

Because my Rice Crispies told me to! -Unknown

Lilly

Re: Water Bottle?

Post by Lilly »

You know even though my bird has a water feeder and no bowl he still tries to wash in it!!
Funny watching him try! He has a mist bath everyday and as soon as he sees that mister he climbs out on top and spreads his wings ready!! :lol:

My advice is... well, I see Gomez maybe grab a drink once a day on the rare occasion, most moisture I guess comes from his fresh fruit and veg.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Will he be able to bathe in something if you remove the water dish?

Ellie.
PythonzEve

Post by PythonzEve »

Well first off, scratch the no drinking, he figured it out thankfully and I took it out. He has a wheat grass plant right underneath to catch the water so that works. :)

As far as him being able to bathe, I have a mister that he's not fond of yet (I don't think he bathed at the breeders?), and whenever he gets outside time I have a large ceramic dish that he can dip into so yes, he can bathe in other ways. As soon as he is more confident with me I'd like to try taking him into the shower with me :D
Jessica

If one refuses to learn and maintains a closed mind, one is thus trapped from the procession of life in their own archaic self-imprisonment. -Jessica McNeely

Because my Rice Crispies told me to! -Unknown

ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Good luck!

I found both of my birds were scared of the shower at first so be patient but now they love it. They never refuse to join me in the shower although sometimes they like to sit on their perch and not get wet.

Ellie.