Albino?

Moderator: Mods

3tiels&aringneck

Albino?

Post by 3tiels&aringneck »

I recently adopted an albino DNA-sexed male. He is now about three months old and I am noticing that his head and wings have a slight tinge of blueish/gray to them. His eyes are pink. His mother was white and his father was grey, that's all I know. I've been told that he will not get the ring if he is true albino, but with the tinge of blue I'm noticing has me wondering if that means he is not true albino? OR because he is mostly white with pink eyes make him albino for sure. I don't know anything about his background other than the color of his parents. I hope somebody can help me out. I know I probably don't have enough info on his background, but I thought it was worth a shot. Is he true albino and will he get a ring.
Image Bullet
Image mikey (white) and joey (blue)
333greenbean333

Re: Albino?

Post by 333greenbean333 »

Hi
I would be glad to help. If possible could you post a picture of him?
(((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))
((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))
((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))
((((((((((()))))))))))
(((((()))))
3tiels&aringneck

Post by 3tiels&aringneck »

Image Image
Unfortunatly the pics really don't help. The bluish tinge is washed out by the flash. plus the bird won't cooperate!
Image Bullet
Image mikey (white) and joey (blue)
opheliasotherdaddy

Post by opheliasotherdaddy »

i don't know if this helps... but i know a woman who has 2 pairs of birds that she got 9 different colored babies from this year. i got my grey lacewing from her and while there i checked out 2 albino chicks she had... they had what i call a green dusting over the white on their backs and she showed me how in sunlight the green disappears. it could only be seen with artificial light. way cool!
Rueae

Post by Rueae »

Kind of a late reply, but it could just be a kind of suffusion.
I have a female (still up for debate, but I cannot help but refer to her as female) albino and she has blue/green/pink all over, but it can only be seen in certain lighting.

I had an albino budgie once and she had the same thing going on but only on her body below the head, on her tail and under her wings. (So, her head and wings were always completely white. I have suspicions that her flight feathers would have had the same suffusion, though she was always clipped so I can't know for sure.)

Probably just an albino thing and has nothing to do with a grey parent. .3.
I find the coloring incredibly beautiful and it makes me love the albinos even more.

As for the ring thing...I've heard that male albinos never get a ring, but I've seen some pictures of male albinos with them. So I'm not sure. Perhaps, sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't...
If he does get one though, it'll be brown.

P.S.
I hear there is difference between suffusion and fluorescence.
The former being when it is a colored bird with a different tinge appearing in certain lighting and the later is when it happens in a colorless bird.
I don't know enough about the semantics to comment further though, this is just what I've heard.

Personally, I think having a separate word for just albinos is a little silly though, so I'll probably always say "suffusion" and leave it at that. .3.

Edit:
Here's a picture of an albino budgie with blue suffusion, just to show.
http://s864.photobucket.com/albums/ab20 ... g&newest=1

I'd have put one up of Briar but I don't have any of her with her suffusion showing, yet. :3

Second edit:
Here's a male and female albino ringneck.
"Brownish" ring.
http://www.adelaidebirdclub.com/gallery03/dcp1808.jpg
You can also see some suffusion in the female there and the male looks a bit grey.
Is that what your bird looks like? (Without the ring, obviously.)

A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song.
Shane7285

Post by Shane7285 »

Hi there,

just thought I would add this as it has been covered before in another post. A true male albino will not get a ring, as can be seen in this post. There is a link in this post to explain why:

http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... 13&t=10484

Regards

Shane
lenny_hayes

Post by lenny_hayes »

3tiels&aringneck wrote:I recently adopted an albino DNA-sexed male. He is now about three months old and I am noticing that his head and wings have a slight tinge of blueish/gray to them. His eyes are pink. His mother was white and his father was grey, that's all I know. I've been told that he will not get the ring if he is true albino, but with the tinge of blue I'm noticing has me wondering if that means he is not true albino? OR because he is mostly white with pink eyes make him albino for sure. I don't know anything about his background other than the color of his parents. I hope somebody can help me out. I know I probably don't have enough info on his background, but I thought it was worth a shot. Is he true albino and will he get a ring.
I also have a male Albino Ringneck. He has pink eyes and your photo is like a twin to mine.
Mine has also got the grayish in him near his beak. Yes it seems he is an albino and if he is, he will not get a ring.
Sorry if it's a late reply. I am new to this forum.
My 4 pets I love more than anything:
Pixie my dog, Garfield my cat, Lenny my parrot, Abbey my Kitten.