Rehoming alexandrine

Moderator: Mods

Dj tweet

Rehoming alexandrine

Post by Dj tweet »

Hi all I'm posting this thread here and in the Quaker forum as need as much advice as possiblev

ok so I have found an add for an alexandrine with cage
it's a 2yr old male ( maybe slightly older as his ring is very prominent )
originally hand raised
talks a little
owner had since baby

it states in the add that due to lack of 1-1 time he is no longer as willing to be held or touched
but it does appear he gets time out if his cage when owner is home

I'm interested in going to see him but am wondering what's the best way I can get a true idea of his ability to be handled etc
I'm imagining he will either be more aggressive or more responsive with me being a stranger
I would like to provide him with a loving home but I also don't wanna bite off more than i can chew so to speak

I was thinking of taking a clicker and treats to see how he responds to it as I have red alot that says this provides an easy starting bond with a rehomed bird

Also what questions do I need to ask the seller about him ???
Dj tweet

Re: Rehoming alexandrine

Post by Dj tweet »

Why does everyone look at these posts but never actually reply
I know many of you have irns but sure some of those are rehomed
the theory is the same the questions will be the same
why can no one give me suggestions on any of what I have asked in the above post ???
Lilly

Post by Lilly »

You can try take a clicker but you'll need a little more time than just a visit for that to work unless you are really lucky and he is responsive.... it usually take a couple of days. I've always had good result with a clicker with my IRN, a Magpie a dog and cat, yes cats are trainable!

Anyhow... like any animal you buy or take on you just can't tell until it's in your hands and in it's regular environment with a routine, they are all so different!
Just go along, check him out.. trust your gut feeling, good luck!
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Dj Tweet

I think it is wonderful that you want to provide a loving home to the Alexandrine.

I don't really know how to advise you other than just see how the bird responds to you when you go over. Make sure you make any approaches to the bird really slow and talk to it gently. I'm not sure that you'd get far with a clicker in a one visit session... but I don't use a clicker myself so I could be wrong.

You could see the visit as not only an opportunity for you to see if you can get along with the bird, but also for it to see if it chooses you.

Do you have other birds in the house? You have to be careful of diseases, etc. Some books i've read recommend 1 month quarantine, etc. I didn't do that with our new addition and luckily we had no disease problems.

Somehow, I think you will "just know" once you spend time with the bird whether he/she is right for you and whether you are right for him/her. Obviously, you will need to make allowances for it not knowing you. Do you have someone who can go with you to help you with the decision?

Good luck! I hope it goes well.

Regards

Ellie.
Dj tweet

Post by Dj tweet »

Thanks all for the replys
this will be my only bird ( for now ) have had some in past

I thought it may be the case of just trusting my guts with it but just had to ask incase there was something else that may help

I'm looking forward to meeting him and hope things go well as I would rathe home a bird that needs love than a fresh weaned baby

My concern is my young children and god he deals with them but I guess I will just have to see how he reacts once I visit

Today is my birthday so I'm hoping for sone luck :)
please advise of any questions I need to ask the seller in regards to his health etc etc ?
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi DJ

Happy birthday. Good luck with the meeting. Have you considered taking your children to meet the bird too? They could help you make the decision.

I don't have any children yet, but I would imagine that training children how to be nice to animals generally and birds specifically, would go a long way.

Regards

Ellie.
Dj tweet

Post by Dj tweet »

Yeah I will definatly take my kids along I want to go good for this bird and give it a good home but if it acts aggresivly to my kids that's something I will have to consider in more depth