Sprouting Bird Seed

Moderator: Mods

hisandy

Sprouting Bird Seed

Post by hisandy »

I have sprouted some bird seeds and my IRN loves it. It only took a few days!

Aloha to all!
Sandy
effekt

Re: Sprouting Bird Seed

Post by effekt »

What kind of seeds did you sprout? I love to sprout my own seeds to eat, so I'm looking forward to sprouting some for my birds too.

How long did you sprout them for?
effekt

Post by effekt »

*update*

I have a nice mix of seeds and grains germinating right now, I can't wait to give them to my birds :)
hisandy

Post by hisandy »

I sprouted regular bird seed. Grew fast but did last in the refrigerator long. I planted some in my garden too.

The best is clover and alfalfa sprouts that we eat in our salads too. They sprout fast and last a long time in the refrigerator. I start a new crop every 2 weeks.

Sandy
*Trying to get a photo, but camera not working.
effekt

Post by effekt »

I have a bag of alfalfa seeds to sprout, haven't started those yet :)
Kimberly4403

Post by Kimberly4403 »

I have yet to try this with my current bird (budgie) I do really want an IRN so am learning all i can about them, but I have heard that if you plant seeds in a small pot wait for them to grow and then trim them down every so often you will have a never ending supply of sprouts that just keep growing and you keep cutting back and good thing with this is that you don't have to store it in the fridge you just go and cut however much you want and its fresh straight from the garden
effekt

Post by effekt »

That's a great idea! My birds really like bell peppers so I planted a bunch of those. Should save me a bit of money to grow my own, and much more fresh for them!