Exactly what are we and what will we make?

Moderator: Mods

Eylandt

Exactly what are we and what will we make?

Post by Eylandt »

Hey everyone! New here and was hoping someone might be able to help me.

Ive got two IRN's that Im in a spot of bother with.

I first purchased my male a few years back which is blue in colour. Last year I wanted to get him a friend and it just so happened there was a yellow IRN up for adoption. Paid the adoption fee and went to collect the IRN to be told that its actually a Female and not a Male as originally told. I explained my concerns about breeding as Ive never bred Birds before (Im more of a Reptile Breeder myself) and was told that the female has laid but has stopped the last few seasons and I was guarrenteed that she probably wont start again.

To my surprise (although I should have expected it) Ive caught them mating over the last week doing the whole feeding each other, the cute little mating ritual and of course.. the deed.

Im now in IRN education overdrive and am trying to learn everything that needs to be learnt. Theyve got their laybox (complete with nesting material) and from what Ive been explained Im planning on having them raised by their parents for the first few weeks before I start handraising them.

My mutation understanding is zilch so I was hoping someone might be able to answer the following:

Exactly what mutation is the female? Exactly what mutation is the male? And what sort of mutations can I expect from the clutch?

Theres a photo of the pair (click for ultra large shot). Please help me. Thanks all :)
SarahandEco

Re: Exactly what are we and what will we make?

Post by SarahandEco »

From what I can tell the hen is a lutino and the cock is a normal blue. I'm no mutation wiz either, but that's what it looks like to me. If I managed to do the genetic calculator right, the results should be:

1.0 blue x 0.1 ino
% from all 1.0
100.0% 1.0 green /blue ino
% from all 0.1
100.0% 0.1 green /blue

So all chicks would be visually green and males would be split blue ino (albino if I remember correctly) and females would be split blue.

Please if anyone is more knowledgeable on the subject, correct me.

333greenbean333

Post by 333greenbean333 »

hi sarahandeco,
you are correct. blue ino is albino

here is another possibility to throw into the pot. if you lutino hen is split blue. then your offspring could be

1.0 blue x 0.1 ino /blue
% from all 1.0
50.0% 1.0 blue /ino
50.0% 1.0 green /blue ino
% from all 0.1
50.0% 0.1 blue
50.0% 0.1 green /blue

hope this helps. =D

or you blue could be split ino, and the lutino could be too.

1.0 blue /ino x 0.1 ino /blue
% from all 1.0
25.0% 1.0 blue /ino
25.0% 1.0 green /blue ino
25.0% 1.0 blue ino (white)(albino)
25.0% 1.0 ino /blue
% from all 0.1
25.0% 0.1 blue ino (albino)
25.0% 0.1 ino /blue
25.0% 0.1 blue
25.0% 0.1 green /blue
(((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))
((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))
((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))
((((((((((()))))))))))
(((((()))))
Eylandt

Post by Eylandt »

Thanks all! Appreciate the replies :)