Strange Hen Behaviour??

Moderator: Mods

mum24fids

Strange Hen Behaviour??

Post by mum24fids »

Hi im new here. Thanks for having us! :D

I am wondering about a hen who has recently been paired with a young (immature) cockbird.

She is 5yo and does what looks like a cockbirds mating dance. Wings held out away from the body, swiftly flying from perch to perch. Light beating of folded wings and excessive screaming.

The you albino cockbird is not interested and she harrasses him constantly but he just is too you.

Is she doing this behaviour out of frustration or is it unusual for hens to act like this. She has bred before for me so i know she is definately a hen.

She is starting to pluck the feathers around her legs which i have read can be a sign of sexual frustration?? Should i just put the young male back in the holding cage and give the poor hen an adult mate for the season?

the behaviour described above she does constantly as soon as the sun comes up and untill it goes down she will not sit still at all. I dont have a nest box in with her as i knew the cockbrd was too young i really just wanted to bond them untill nexty year but she seems so desperate i feel sorry for her.