wont breed

Moderator: Mods

dezzerer18

wont breed

Post by dezzerer18 »

hi there
help please. i have a pair of ringnecks male blue female green. hed them both for about 2 years now, they are in a very large cage with a nesting box on the side. my male just wont seem to breed with the female. he will clean, feed and talk to her but that is it, when she calls to him to mate instead of him climbing on top of her he nibbles between her toes. its as though he doesnt know what he is suppose to be doing. he is very intimidated by the female, he is not so bad round breeding season but out of it when she comes onto the pirch next to him he move away or at the other end of the cage. my female has only laid one lot of eggs (4eggs) i left them in the box for 25 days and them opened them to find that they were not fertile can anyone give me some pointers. or an answer that may get them breeding
pinkdevil

Re: wont breed

Post by pinkdevil »

Hi,

There can be a number of factors why they are not successfully breeding.
Incompatable, inexperienced, male not 'doing the deed' properly, productive system 'faulty'.
Maybe eggs were fertilized and not incubated correctly, diet, weather, immature bird/birds, hen being disturbed too much while sitting on eggs.
Even down to just a poor season.
Also, it is not uncommon for the first clutch of eggs to be duds until they 'get it right'.

:)
julie

Re: wont breed

Post by julie »

was the male hand reared?
I have a pair that ive had for 3years and last year was their first successful year.