Thinking of adding another bird to my home and have question

Moderator: Mods

NorthCarolinaGal

Thinking of adding another bird to my home and have question

Post by NorthCarolinaGal »

Hi, Im new to the Indian Ringneck page. I have had a Quaker for 8 years I dearly love. She sings songs, greets people (also tells them to come in when they knock, LOL) Gives kisses and loves to talk. Now my question....I was just recently offered a 17 year old Ringneck and I am wondering if my other bird will be jealous or will it cause problems since I have always spent so much time with my Quaker. The Ringneck to my understanding is not very friendly to other people, but my Quaker don't like others besides me much either, LOL. The second question is can of bird of that age become friendly to me? It is fairly tame with its owner but still bites them every once in a while. Don't mind being bit, not really LOL and know I will give it a good home. I also allow my Quaker to run free in his area when I am Home. But not sure if its a good idea to bring another bird into my home. Need help in deciding!
smallworld

Re: Thinking of adding another bird to my home and have ques

Post by smallworld »

Hi there :)

To be quite honest I' not so sure thats such a good idea. Because the quaker has bonded with you for so long and might not want to share you with a ringneck. On the other hand, the ringneck is 17yrs old, an old fella. If he already is not very friendly to other people other than his selection of friends, he might be totally hostile to you. Of course, I think this can be worked on but requires alot of time n patience. Which I am not sure your quaker is going to be happy about. Did you inquire as to why he is being given away? If he has diseases (ex. PBFD), you might want to reconsider. Is it a behaviour problem? Because if it is, then changing owners tend to generally make it worse. I have experience with other birds but with ringnecks, only with our young greenie. However, I've read they tend to be quite aggressive to other birds if they dont like company, but it depends on the bird. You said he and she so I'm a little confused. Is your quaker a male or a female? This makes a small difference because, generally they can be nicer to the opposite sex. But that is very individual. I personally would not go for a 17 yr old bird with instable character. Sounds like the previous owner has not been too good with training him either, if he still bites. Of course once in awhile they may get nippy but if after 17yrs the biting is common then...

Well its your choice at the end of the day n I've given you my opinion. But think twice or thrice on this one :)