Do only the males show off with open wings???HELP!!!

Moderator: Mods

Sarah-Dane

Do only the males show off with open wings???HELP!!!

Post by Sarah-Dane »

My ringneck is now 1yr 3mo old and has been doing the opening of the wings thing for quite a while!!! Just saw on you site that thats typical behaviour for a male???? Brandy opens "her" wings for anything that makes her happy and will what I like to call dance: head up and down and walking slowly then running around and doing it again with eyes pinning.
A good friend of mine has a number of ringnecks and she suggested that Brandy is a female because of her paler colouring, although she has just been through her moult and has come out way more vibrant in colour, also could I be feeding her the, wrong food that would make this colouring paler?? She's currently eating spicy parrot which is a mix of predominantly white sunflower seeds a few other seeds and mixed dried fruit and nuts and pellets and she loves apples carrots strawberries mangoes and especially granadilla.
Very confusing lol don't know whether to refer to my baby as a he or she????
julie

Re: Do only the males show off with open wings???HELP!!!

Post by julie »

unless your bird is a sex linked mutation I wouldnt listen to the color thing. unless you get dna testing or get your bird sexed you will have to wait till he gets a ring.
I have males that have definate rings displaying behaviours of hens and then i have 2 hens that copy the males dancing.
Sarah-Dane

Re: Do only the males show off with open wings???HELP!!!

Post by Sarah-Dane »

Thanks!! Not that stressed about it now, Brandy is still Brandy and I love my bird to bits!!