My First Pair of IRN are coming tomorrow!!

Moderator: Mods

AussieParrots

My First Pair of IRN are coming tomorrow!!

Post by AussieParrots »

It's taken 3 weeks to get the aviaries set up but they're ready to go. The IRNs are coming tomorrow and the Cockatiels on Tuesday - it's all very exciting!!

I finally decided on a Blue Turquoise Pallid Hen and a Blue Turquoise Cock. Thinking of expanding in about 6 months maybe with Albinos to get creminos...

On the handraising side of things, I've currently got 3 cockatiel chicks at various stages (1 took his first flight yesterday - we were so proud!) and we've got 3 blue quaker chicks arriving on Saturday.... Things are getting busy!!

Prue
xx_sheena_xx

Re: My First Pair of IRN are coming tomorrow!!

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

Wow, you do sound busy.
It would be soo exiting to be getting alot of new birds at once.
AussieParrots

Re: My First Pair of IRN are coming tomorrow!!

Post by AussieParrots »

It is - very busy.

One little useless tidbit that has come about from my research is the markup pet shops make - I never realised it was so much!! I went to a couple of local pshops just to see what they'd give me for the type of birds I'm breeding (not that I want to sell to them, but just to give me an idea of prices).

All birds handraised:

Common cockatiel mutations (pieds, pearls, cinnamon etc) $20 (They sell them for $160)
More exotic cockatiels (whitefaces, olives, emerald etc) $30 (they sell them for $200+)
IRN (blues greens) $50 (sell for $300 - $350)
IRN (lutinos albino cremino etc) $150 (sell for $400++)
Blue Quakers $150 (sell $450)

I thought it was really interesting!! Apart from the Quakers and more exotic IRNs you wouldn't even break even!

Prue