wing clipping

Moderator: Mods

lewi111

wing clipping

Post by lewi111 »

Just wondering what other breeders thoughts are on clipping tame IRN wings.Lucky lives inside and is usually easy to catch---except at bed time !!.Gotta wait till hes goes to sleep on the curtain rod before i can catch him !!.He hasnt done any damage to himself---few minor crashes when he was learning to fly.Would you advise on clipping both wings (as the guy at vetafarm suggests---because of the balance ) ,clipping just one wing, or not clipping at all.He is almost 4 months old
Coastal-Birds

Re: wing clipping

Post by Coastal-Birds »

Hi
Any tame birds that i have clipped wings i have only ever done one side.Then when it regrows you do the otherside .It so your not just clipping the same wing all the time.Ive never clipped both at the same time.Also you dont need to take much off,about 10-15mm of just the longest flights will do.
lewi111

Post by lewi111 »

Thanks Coastal Birds,
Will that slow him down enough so I can catch him when i want to?
At the moment he's winning the battle---and he knows it :)
Coastal-Birds

Post by Coastal-Birds »

With 1 wing clip it can still fly short distance but not far nor any height.And after a few flights they learn they cant fly good and will start to just sit on yourself with some treats offered.
A bird i hand raised worked itself out and at feeds would fly out of brooder onto lid and come for a feed,then do a flight around room and came back for more,then when full jumped back into brooder.Even now without handling it often it is still tame and just sits and eats apple from me.