Blue ringnecks but with different colouring

Moderator: Mods

Coastal-Birds

Blue ringnecks but with different colouring

Post by Coastal-Birds »

Hi all
Can anyone give me some idea on this bird.
It is one of 3 i have which seem to have dark(cobalt colouring in tail and wings yet the bird otherwise seems to be a normal blue.
It is not from being wet or stained.
I have not seen this in any blue birds before and as for parents i am not sure as my mother brought them as she noticed this dark blue colouring in them.
Any help here would be great.
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

Looks dark blue. The photos are to close up.
Recio

Re: Blue ringnecks but with different colouring

Post by Recio »

Coastal-Birds wrote:Hi all
Can anyone give me some idea on this bird.
Hi again CB,
First time I see this "variation". I guess you have already think about illness, vitamin deficiency, ....
It is one of 3 i have which seem to have dark(cobalt colouring in tail and wings yet the bird otherwise seems to be a normal blue.
It is not clear for me if you have just this bird or if you have 3 with the same features. It could help having a pic of the whole bird, specially wings and head.... Is it a male or a female? How old is it? Has the bird moulted after you keep it?

But let's go to imaging .... could it be some kind of pied related only to wings and tail? Piesd are known to exhibit patches of cobalt / iridiscent colours. How is his/her voice? Is it like the others or something different? How are the legs and nails?

I have not seen this in any blue birds before and as for parents i am not sure as my mother brought them as she noticed this dark blue colouring in them.
Congratulations to you and your mother. My mother would not have made the difference between a canary and an eagle. If you have 3 birds with the same "variation", to me it means that they are brothers/sisters, and if it was a new mutation, it would be more likely dominant than recessif. If I had such birds I would see the outcomes of pairing them to normal blues, and if the "variation' does not appear (recessif) I would do 2 things:
1: To pair back one of the F1 to one parent.
2: To pair two of the "brothers/sisters" showing this "variation". I KNOW THAT WE MUST AVOID INBREEDING, but to me this would be a special case. Do you agree Fah?
julie

Post by julie »

whats the purple colored part on the black thing in the back ground? could it be dye or something similar that has gotten wet and then ended up on the bird.
Coastal-Birds

colour

Post by Coastal-Birds »

No it is not dye.
It is the stitching on the net.
I am expecting people to say its dyed or the bird has been modified by photo software but this is not the case far as i know.
I even tried some paint thinners to see if it came off but it didnt and they were brought as plain blue birds at no great expense.
I have many blue birds and cobalts but have never seen this in any of them besides these birds.

here are more photos of a sister bird,it has the same dark blue in tail but also on edge of flight feathers.Hard to see but if you look close you can see it.
You will notice this bird has a nice clean tail where the first one has a ratty tail,these photos are of two different birds.
Recio

Post by Recio »

Hi again

I have found this pic of a blue pied bird where it is apparent that the marks on wings are disposed in a regular pattern, like for your birds. This picture belongs to Deon Smith so I will take it off later.

http://www.sunbird1.co.za/pied12.jpg
Coastal-Birds

colour

Post by Coastal-Birds »

Hmm
I have seen alot of different dominate pieds in real life and all in Australia are very distinct patterns from the greens to violets.
That photo is a blue pied you say?
How can a blue bird show yellow or could it possibly be a pastel pied.
Like pastel blue lacewings they tend to be more yellowish than the green that pastel is normally.
I know here there is only the odd recessive pied most are dominate.So if these birds are pied it should show in them all.
I have or had a artical by a Dr Terry Martin,at least i think it was from him telling how all the blue genes in ringnecks can combine and also the genetic codes but i cannot find this paperwork.They say cobalt and blue cant exsist in the same bird but now i beg to differ,unless the melon in these birds for some reason have gone real dark in places.
Looking at there colour and at my cobalts it is almost the same blue,maybe even more like DF violet colour but again both cant exsist together so all say.
Yet i know a man not far from me that breeds whwt birds and he has a blue bird with violet wings and a few other strange mutations.
I have one of these hens paired with a plain blue and thinking putting another with a blue lacewing cock,but i dont have any spare only pastel blue lw cocks.
Im open to all advice or suggestions as this one has me stumped .
Another member on here i deal with alot and he has asked for a feather from one .I know things can be found out from feathers but i will leave that to him as i have never gone that far into problems like this.
Thanks again Reico for your advice so far.
Cheers
Todd
Recio

Re: colour

Post by Recio »

That photo is a blue pied you say?
How can a blue bird show yellow or could it possibly be a pastel pied.
Like pastel blue lacewings they tend to be more yellowish than the green that pastel is normally.
Hi, Todd
I agree, probably it is a turq-blue (pastel) pied, with ot without pallid (lacewing)
I know here there is only the odd recessive pied most are dominate.So if these birds are pied it should show in them all.
Yes, this is the case, they are pied with an apparent irregular pattern but what is striking is the regularity in wings pattern (like yours).
I have or had a artical by a Dr Terry Martin,at least i think it was from him telling how all the blue genes in ringnecks can combine and also the genetic codes but i cannot find this paperwork.They say cobalt and blue cant exsist in the same bird but now i beg to differ,unless the melon in these birds for some reason have gone real dark in places.
Looking at there colour and at my cobalts it is almost the same blue,maybe even more like DF violet colour but again both cant exsist together so all say.
As far as I know every cobalt has blue in it (cobalt=blue + D) as every blueviolet (blue + violet factor). I think you are meaning an article from the initial breeder of american pieds, where she was claiming that her pieds have blue, cobalt and violet inside. There were a lot of critics and Dr Terry Smith wrote a paper about it but I do not find it right now.
Yet i know a man not far from me that breeds whwt birds and he has a blue bird with violet wings and a few other strange mutations.
I have one of these hens paired with a plain blue and thinking putting another with a blue lacewing cock,but i dont have any spare only pastel blue lw cocks
Tell your friend to join us and post some pictures.
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

Tell your friend to join us and post some pictures. :D :D
Coastal-Birds

colour

Post by Coastal-Birds »

The article i have or had was just on the blue genes,such as blue and aqua,blue and cobalt etc.
There was about 6 or 8 different blue genes that can combine or cross over to produce different birds.
A bird to prove this would be a cobalt violet which does exsist and there is distinct cobalt and violet in the bird.So saying that both the different blue genes can combine to make this bird.
I have hunted the internet and my papers to find this code but i cant find it anywhere,it was just on blue series ringnecks not pied or any other colours.

My mother was saying she spoke with someone and they say from a feather they can tell what parents the bird came from,as it was done here to check on a aqua(emerald).
As i said before another memeber on here i deal with alot has asked for a feather so he must know who does this test,but this might prove nothing especially if it comes back saying both parents were blue.
Im sort of thinking maybe this is how the cobalt started with the dark gene,it might be present but not in its full form yet.
Only other bird i have had questions about was a so called grey green lacewing which Jay said was a cinnamon-pallid crossover as this bird has alot of brown in its tail flights and under wings.
Thanks all for help so far on these birds.