Inbreeding question

Moderator: Mods

Recio

Inbreeding question

Post by Recio »

Hi everybody;

It is widely accepted the possibility of pairing father and daughter (or mother and son) to fix recessif traits, but inbreeding between brother and sister is not accepted. Can anyone explain me why, since the pourcentage of common gens will be the same ?
Recio

Post by Recio »

Hi, the question is always open ...
Fah

Post by Fah »

Its about the relation of genetic bloodlines... a child to a parent means the child is one half the parent bloodline (only 50% the same bloodline).

Child to Child is same bloodline mix to same bloodline mix (100% similar bloodline).

Not the same.

Tried to make is as easy to follow as possible.

This is why though inbreeding is a dangerous path to step on... unless for some reason attaining more of the bloodline is impossible. (price is not an excuse imo... too expensive to do.. then dont do it).
Recio

Post by Recio »

Fah wrote:Its about the relation of genetic bloodlines... a child to a parent means the child is one half the parent bloodline (only 50% the same bloodline).
Hi Fah,
Thanks to have answered
I agree 100% for this part ...
Child to Child is same bloodline mix to same bloodline mix (100% similar bloodline).
.... but only 50% for this one. Why? Because genetic similarity between brothers/sisters is about 50% (not 100%). In fact this similarity ranges from 0% (brothers inheriting from differents parts of cromossomes, since genetic information is "kept in double") to 100% (inhereting exactly the same genetic information from each parent). Nevertheless the probability of these extreme cases is very, very, very low, since the quantity of genes is very, very, very important, and what we usually obtain is around 50% of common genes between brothers.

In fact the difference between pairing parents to sons/daugthers and pairing brothers to sisters is that for the firsts ones common genes are EXACTLY 50% and for the second ones common genes are AROUND 50%

Tried to make is as easy to follow as possible.
I know but easy and simple is not the same. I really do not understand the current recomendations, that is the reason of my question. By the way, I do not have any interesting in inbreeding but in understanding.