HERE IS SOME PROGRESS NEWS-I HOPE

Moderator: Mods

sherry

HERE IS SOME PROGRESS NEWS-I HOPE

Post by sherry »

When I got my IRN he would not come near me, or would run to get away from my hand when I put it into the cage. Now after much food bribery and patience he will come to my hand-expects food. He will come out of the cage when we are in the living room with him-he wont' if nobody is there. I nips at my hand sometimes-still takes off if I try to pet or get him to step up. He comes to the side of the cage that I am on, and will sqwack if I leave the room for a long period of time. He nibbles on my clothes especially when I am holding my other birds. The question is is he becoming more tame and how come he still fears my hand?

Sherry
bec

Post by bec »

sounds like hes going really well
some irns just dont like hands i have 6 irns & they are all very different in their reactions to hands kieron will only take food from my hands from out side his cage gen jen will only come to hands for a hand rearing spoon riku comes to hands when it suits him orchid has never been tamed skeet was hand reared by me so she knows hands do all sorts of good thing (& make great chew toys :roll: )
and pickle is terrified of hands he freaks at me putting food in his bowls :shock: some irns become fully tamed without ever getting over the scary hands thing try keeping your hands in a fist and offering the middle of your forearm to him instead of your hand or hold a food bowl with seed in it so he can get on the bowl (this worked really well with riku :lol: )
sherry

re: Progress in Taming

Post by sherry »

Thanks I will try that :D