Two Green Parents- Blue baby Birds??

Moderator: Mods

Peachykeen

Two Green Parents- Blue baby Birds??

Post by Peachykeen »

What are the odds. I was really expecting all the babies to be green even if there was a split because of.... well... because.

Does anyone want to explain how this happened. There is only one green baby and the other 3 are blue.

I don't know anything about the daddy birds parents or the mama birds parents.

Thanks!
Suzanne
Suzanne- NC- USA
Coastal-Birds

Babies

Post by Coastal-Birds »

Hi
Well both your green birds have to be split to blue for you to get blue babies.If only one was split you would get all greens with some being split for blue.This is also the case for them both being split to blue,some of the greens will be split to blue and some wont.But the blues are plain blues.
Finding a plain green not split these days is very hard.
Cheers
Coastal Birds
Peachykeen

Thanks

Post by Peachykeen »

I I went to the gen cal and it indicated that they would both have to be split to blue or the baby's would just be green split to blue.

At least this gives me some indication of the parents gene pool.

This green female mated last year with a Turq and got - 2 green babies/ 1 lutino / 1 Turq.

This is the first year I have bred with the green male. So this help me with pairing him next year. Might keep these two together. They gave a good variety!

Thanks for the info!

Suzanne
Suzanne- NC- USA
Jay

Re: Thanks

Post by Jay »

Peachykeen wrote:I I went to the gen cal and it indicated that they would both have to be split to blue or the baby's would just be green split to blue.

At least this gives me some indication of the parents gene pool.

This green female mated last year with a Turq and got - 2 green babies/ 1 lutino / 1 Turq.

This is the first year I have bred with the green male. So this help me with pairing him next year. Might keep these two together. They gave a good variety!

Thanks for the info!

Suzanne
Your Turquoise male is split to Lutino. Mate that to a Blue hen or Green split Blue hen and you could breed a Creamino.
Peachykeen

Post by Peachykeen »

Thats a shame... I lost the Turq Male last year to preditors.. We still have not figured out how that happened - But I lost a blue female and him.

I will sex the Turq offspring from this group and if any is a male- I might hold on to him.

I am seriously probably going to sell all of them- So if anyone has friends in NC or nearby that might be interested.... We are excepting offers.

Thanks Jay for all you help and for you talking to me the other day.

Suzanne
Suzanne- NC- USA
simon-anaya

Post by simon-anaya »

My green pair had 6 babies and all of them are blue :D
Peachykeen

Pictures

Post by Peachykeen »

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1 ... 1609786093

We have 3 blue- 2 turq- 3 gray- 1 green.

The green pair is laying again and my white female- all her eggs were duds.. he man doesn't get on her to mate- he stands next to her. She has laid again 3 eggs and they are all duds. I am gonna take their box ways. There is no need for her to go through all this effort for nothing.

The turq female is working her box but I don't think she is going to do anything- it is finally getting hot here. They could just give up on the eggs all together. I have never had a double clutch before.

Hope the pictures come up... they are on my facebook.
Suzanne- NC- USA