New owner with baby Ringneck.

Moderator: Mods

U.S Marine

New owner with baby Ringneck.

Post by U.S Marine »

im sorry to bring this here but i am not getting enough answers as i do have more questions, i will add pictures so stay awake. here is my original post

http://indianringneck.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=7042

Should i allow my ringneck to come out of its cage yet or wait because i think it will lead to no good behaviour?
when should it get vocal?
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

vocal? as in human speech?
Fah

Post by Fah »

Heya, yah the introduction is not really where people look to answer questions sorry, just the general run down of hello's etc.

You need to spend more time with the bird if you want it to not be affraid of you, following some new bird owner info is where everyone should start.

Here is a good little read for you:

http://www.featheredfinds.com/parrotart ... rbird.html

http://www.avianweb.com/taming.html

Find some treats the he/she loves, the way to almost any IRN is through their stomach... :D

Time, being patient and calm are the keys to it basicly. If he does start to nip, do NOT react as much as possible, i know.. hard to do, but if you can.. try to ignor it.

Real noise from the bird takes from any age from 6 months on... and talking ability really only happens with any bird with reinforcement of the words etc. Start early, keep a routine with words you say to it doing certain things etc.
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

Thanks fah i think ill pass on those articles, i think my mentality can understand my bird by now but what i mean is whatever noise ringnecks make is what vocal means, as of now my bird seems alittle to sweet to even nible on my hand i have picked him/her up already.
Last edited by U.S Marine on Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fah

Post by Fah »

Well IRN's get various shades of rings, and even hens can have faint grey and aqua rings (i had a hen that was going on 6yo, yet looked like a young maturing male with a new ring on the way :P)

If you feel confident then your on the path to taming your bird thats great :D Each bird has a different tempterment, but remember what you do in its early years will last a lifetime in its attitude.
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

I think i know what "ring" you're talking about. It does'nt have the black/red/white ring, it's just a fainter green/blue/whatever colour your bird is?
You can see it here on my fid. He was around a year old when it was taken and a long way from growing in his actual ring:

I think all IRNs have this faint ring.

You'll probably notice your bird getting vocal after a few week's when it know's the place it's now at is home and it's completely settled in. And, it will probably make noises first when you aren't in the room, or when your hoovering or something.

It's completely normal for them to flip out a bit when you change their food/water or you just put your hand in the cage. He/She will soon learn that you're not going to harm them and they will be fine :D
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

yes ryelle mine has that same faint of ring, my bird is calmer now, should i let the bird come out of the cage or is it not good yet he/she still gets jumpy when i place my hand near its feet. i already heard a few screams from my bird it sounded like a seagull, lol.
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

hehe seagull. My fid used to scare the life out of my friends or family that came over to visit with that scream. How long ago did you get the bird? It's normally best to let them settle in for a week before you start training. Although exploring isn't so bad, could give a confidence boost - aslong as getting the bird back in the cage isn't going to be stressful. If you need to use a bird net or a towel to get him/her back in the cage then i'd wait a week