Might be getting a Severe Macaw

Moderator: Mods

ElliottsMomma

Might be getting a Severe Macaw

Post by ElliottsMomma »

I am going to meet a Severe Macaw for adoption in my area tomorrow. His mom is in the navy and is going on deployment so she needs to find a new home for him. He is DNA sexed male and his name is Charlie. I am so excited. I wasn't planning on anymore birds until after my daughter is born, but this poor baby needs a home and he is so adorable. I hope his personality is as sweet as she says it is! Does anyone here have any experience with Severe Macaws?
ElliottsMomma

Post by ElliottsMomma »

We met Charlie today and he is so sweet. My 5 year old son was holding him and petting him under his wings and he loved it. So needless to say he is coming home with us! My husband is on his way to pick him up right now. I am worried about Elliott....I don't want him to get jealous. He is and always will be my little baby, so I am going to work extra hard to make sure he doesn't feel left out. I will post pics of the new member of the family later tonight or tomorrow!
Fah

Post by Fah »

The key with multiple birds, and keeping them supremely happy throughout the years, is equality with you and family members.

Facing facts, its like two kids. You spend more time with one than the other, or give it nicer food more than the other, or give it more variety of toys that each can see than the other... then your in the pooper and can expect some interesting behaviour from the bird trying to make up for the lack of attention, either through calls, attention seeking damage / naughty actions etc.

Give them both play times at the same time etc, and if you must spend time solely with one over the other, do it in a seperate room.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Congrats on getting Charlie.

He sounds so sweet natured to :)

Will check back for the photos :lol: :wink:
ElliottsMomma

Post by ElliottsMomma »

The first night went well. Elliott was very excited to see another bird...he was dancing around all anxious to come out of his cage! I have them both in the living room, just at opposite ends. Elliott was talking to him all night long....I could hear him even after we turned the lights out. He is patiently waiting for a response! Charlie aka Jax as my husband has decided to call him, is still a little nervous in his new home. He just sits on the top of his cage taking it all in! I tried to give him some apple for breakfast and he had either never had it before or he doesn't like it because he just kind of held it looking at it like "ok....what am I supposed to do with this??" He licked it a few times and then threw it on the floor. I will post the pics later!!