Getting a IRN. Please advise...

Moderator: Mods

kramer79

Getting a IRN. Please advise...

Post by kramer79 »

Hello all, it's good to join the forum.

My girlfriend and I have decided to get a parrot. We have been supporting all these animal shelters and whatnot, and decided we should finally get to keep one with us and we were thinking about a Quaker parrot.

There is a shelter close to Barcelona (we live in Spain) where they had two quakers that needed a home but they were to be adopted together and were not socialized (I think they were rescued in the wild). When I explained to them that we would want a pet and were very interested in the socialization aspect of it, they told us they had some IRN (Kramer conure here in Spain), hand fed, that would make great companions. These are probably quite young (4-5 months, maybe less)

After doing some research I found that a lot of people seem to think that IRN can be very difficult and usually not as friendly or affectionate as other types of parrots. I work from home so I will be able to spend time with him (that's another question, can they know for sure when they are young if they are male or female?), and he will be treated like a king, but still...

Please forgive my long email, but I guess the main point is that while we will definitely continue supporting shelters and helping them find a home for their animals, we definitely want an affectionate companion, especially considering the long years a bird will spend with us. A little selfish, but it is also for the good of the bird. Try sending 30 years with people you just hate! :)

Would you be so kind as to share your opinions on IRNs? Are they difficult? Aggressive? Or affectionate?

Looking forward to reading your comments. Thank you very much for your time and help.

Andre
Fah

Post by Fah »

IRN's are admitedly more challenging than many of the Conure (sun conure, blue throat conure, green cheek conure etc) families.

However, this does not stop them being one of the most interesting and enjoyable pet birds around.

They get a nasty wrap from people who dont know enough about birds and therefore end up reinforcing a negative behaviour in their IRN... the stigma that Female IRN's are worse is simply due to people not knowing how to handle young Hen birds in their first few hormonal cycles.

On the main part of this site... indianringneck.com you will find some great links to what you can expect behaviourly. They go through a bluffing stage that many birds do not enter. This if handled correctly is short and soon forgotten.

IRN's like the larger parrots, have very strong characters... and very independant ones at that. I have one pet IRN that loves being harassed and treated like a kitten, and another... not so affectionate, but just as enjoyable in its own quirky right.

You sound like it will get more than enough attention (a key factor with IRN's) and are cautiously going into this.. another good sign for future ownership... that I doubt you will have any problems in the long run.

Hope to hear about your endeavours soon.
ElliottsMomma

Post by ElliottsMomma »

My IRN is the first bird I have owned and I have had no problems with him. All birds have their own personality, so I can't guarantee that you and your bird will hit it off. If they have multiple birds available for adoption I would ask to spend time with each of them to see what their personality is like. I know I fell in love with Elliott when I first held him and knew from that moment on that he was my bird. I held his brother too and there just wasnt that same feeling. As corny as it sounds it was like love at first sight!
IRNs are not known to be cuddly birds like a Love bird for instance. They love interacion with people, but at the same time they need their space at times. Elliott loves to be scratched, but if you try to do it when he is not in the mood he will let you know! Again, it's their individual personality.
I think the bluffing stage is what gives them a bad name. Elliott's bluffing was so quick and painless. You just have to be patient and wait for it to pass.
IRNs are very intellignet birds. Elliott started talking at 8 mos old and loves to copy us. He has to have lots of toys to keep him entertained, because he will get bored easily. He can figure out how to get to a treat in a hide a treat toy like it is nothing at all!
The only way to tell if a young bird is a male or female is to have the DNA testing done, I still don't know if Elliott is a boy or girl, but it doesn't matter to me either way!
I think it sounds like you have done your research and now you need to get out there and meet some birds to see what you think. Just remember that birds are a lot of work. They need to be socialized or they will go back to their wild tendencies. They need fresh food and water at all times, and they like to make a mess out of their water dish! You need to keep up with their cage on a daily basis and they do need a large cage. And they need to see an avian vet on a regular basis, which can be on the pricey side. Some people just assume that because they are a lot smaller than a dog or a cat that they don't require as much time and effort.....that is a huge myth! A bird is a big commitment and if you think you are ready for it go for it!!
kramer79

Post by kramer79 »

Thanks for your messages. It's helping a lot in deciding that a ringneck is probably an appropriate bird for us. The only concern is that I tend to travel a bit, although for short trips I'll take him with us, and if we're gone for a week or so I'll bring him back to the shelter where they said they can keep and care for him while I'm gone or have somebody come over to spend some time with him. Still, I can go a few months without being gone for more than a weekend.

Anyway, on to the new questions :). They only have two birds left and they are females. I really love the look of the male, and I am considering waiting for their next "babies" and get a male. The main thing though is that I have read in many places that females tend to be more aggressive than males. Of course you can't trust the internet so, any opinions on this. Also, some people who have birds told me that females don't talk as much as males. This sounds a bit strange to me, but can you shed some light on that.

I'll be going to the shelter this Saturday to donate some food for their cats and dogs, and to see the birds and make sure they treat the animals right (most likely considering they're all volunteers taking in all kinds of pets...) and look at the 2 IRNs they have. The idea is that if we decide for a female we'll take her right away. Otherwise, I'll just tell them to save a male for me when they have more "babies".

I know the esthetics of a parrot are not the most important factor, but I really love the way the males look. So it's hard to decide, please let me know about the male/female behavioral (and talking) differences, if any.

Thank you very much for your help, sorry for imposing with these long messages. I'm just very excited and at the same time want to go into this cautiously.

Andre
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

Indian Ringnecks are very fun! They can be very cuddly and at times not be in the mood for it. It just depends. I've seen some birds that can't get enough of cuddles and others that don't seem to interested in cuddles but still interested in people and still others that are naturally shy even when hand raised. It all depends.

I got Sky from a pet store. I'm generally not one for going to pet stores and buying animals, but I fell in love with him right away, so I had to get him. He was the most interactive of all the birds in the cage with him. You're looking for a good pet. Go for the one who is the sweetest/cuddliest/most interactive of the group. The one that stands out. Sky sure did! Also the one that makes the most noise will probably be the one most likely to talk or at least mimick sounds.

Good luck and keep us posted!

~SkyBaby
kramer79

Post by kramer79 »

Thanks for your answers.

Any pointers regarding my previous question of female/male differences. Is it true that female are more aggressive/difficult than males?

i know each bird has their own personality, but in general?

thanks!

A
Raja's_mom

Post by Raja's_mom »

I have heard that the females can get quite cage territirial when they get to breeding age and that they are most likely to go through a longer bluffing stage. I'm getting a 1 yr old female shortly and I could let you know in a month of so what she is like compared with my male . My male is the sweetest cuddlyest bird he is so cute with that big red beak and little eyes. when he gets excited he makes all the feathers on his little head stand up its the cutest thing I've ever seen. My male never went through a bluffing stage at all and like the person in the other thread Raja had six clutch mates and I felt nothing for any of them except Raja He did not want to leave me the whole time I was there he sat with me and if I tryed to put him down he would come right back over to me. It was definatly a case of love at first site. Raja is starting to talk already and he is only 6 months old. The breeder of the female I'm getting said the she talks up a storm I think when it comes to talking it really depends on the bird some birds just never talk some bird don't stop talking. All I know is that I am head over heals in love with my little Raja. and I would recomend a ringneck for a pet anyday. they do need constant companionship though because they wll revert back to their wild tendancys faster than other birds will With that said as long as your consistant the bird will adapt to your life style. I hope you enjoy your new bird as much as I enjoy mine.
kramer79

Post by kramer79 »

Hi,

we went to pick Kiwi up today. The plan was to just go there and check out how they were raising and keeping them and then wait for next year's babies.

But we brought home a little ringneck, she was born in May and she's been great at home, she seems to like the big cage a lot and we had her out for a while this evening and she flew around a bit and tentatively step on our fingers.

She let me pet her chest a few times. She does bite a bit but I guess she is tired from today and probably a little stressed. No she is moving around the cage quite a bit, I think she wants to get back out. When she calms down we'll give her a little treat before she sleeps.

How do they sleep? I often work late into the night, should I leave her alone after a certain time? And what about waking up?

Thanks!

Andre
ElliottsMomma

Post by ElliottsMomma »

Congrats!! Kiwi is a cute name!!! She will need some time to adjust to the new surroundings so don't be upset if she nips a little. It sounds like she is settling in nicely tho! Some people choose to cover the cage at night around 9-10pm and then uncover it after 10-11 hours. I personally don't do that....Elliott is on the same schedule as the rest of us. He goes to bed at 10pm like we do and gets up when the sun comes up. You just have to find what works best with you and your birds schedule. Just make sure that she is getting enough sleep! Good luck and enjoy your new baby!! Can't wait to see pics...hint, hint!!
kramer79

Post by kramer79 »

At night we close the door and window in her room and just open it the next morning. I have always been a late night person but I guess I'll need to change my schedule now.

I sometimes come home a bit late at night and she might not be able to go to sleep until 10:30 - 11. That wouldn't be a problem would it?

She can then wake up at 7 or 8 the next day.

I will post some pictures soon. We bought her this colored rope today and sh freaked out. She's completely in love with it.

A
Fah

Post by Fah »

It depends on your birds nature, and what the circumstances are.

I have a pet IRN that sits next to my desk and im often up till about 1-2am easily. I use headphones, lights are on, but I have quite a dark corner set up for him... so long as you can set up a spot that they enjoy being in and that is dark enough with enough quiet (pet birds can sleep through a bit of noise if they are happy and its regularly soft... not stop and start).

Two safe bets with toys... rope and leather... they go spastic over them.