plywood

Moderator: Mods

SkyBaby

plywood

Post by SkyBaby »

I was doing some research, and apparently there are a few different types of plywood, depending on how it was treated. I found some boards that seemed to be the "pressed" kind. The ones that look like they're made out of many small, thin pieces of wood pressed and glued together. The other kind I saw looked like just a board of wood that was cut from a tree, but under closer inspection of the edges, I saw that those boards were layered, too. I'm guessing it's glue holding them together. Is that kind still safe?
robin.s

Post by robin.s »

as far as i know all plywood is glued. between 3 and 7 layers depending on how thick the plywood is. i do not know about the glue used and if it is toxic or not
Fah

Post by Fah »

You really need to hunt down plywood made from gums (natual glues) or water based glue. Else you will find yourself with possibly ill birds. To do this you are best off seeking makers of plywood supplies or hobby stores that really know their stuff.
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

Fah wrote:You really need to hunt down plywood made from gums (natual glues) or water based glue. Else you will find yourself with possibly ill birds. To do this you are best off seeking makers of plywood supplies or hobby stores that really know their stuff.

Thanks tons of the helpful info! There aren't any specialty shops in my small town, though. Oh well.. commuting for me :D
Fah

Post by Fah »

I actually buy and use alot of balsa wood (small blocks) or make small blocks from bird safe natural gum / glues. They dont last a long time, but boy is it cheap and fun for the birds.

I often dye the balsa wood diiff colours and leave little coloured cubes around the cage... they all love them because they weigh nothing, are colourful, and easy to sink a beak into.

Here is a link you may find useful on woods etc:

http://www.mdvaden.com/bird_page.shtml