Nail and Wing clipping question...

Moderator: Mods

SkyBaby

Nail and Wing clipping question...

Post by SkyBaby »

I know how to do it and how to avoid the quick in the nail and how to clip wings. That's not the issue. The issue is I don't like fighting with him when i need to trim his wings/nails. He's familiar with toweling, but he's just a bit too big for me to do this by myself.

How do I train him to hand me a foot and let me file his nails? Or a wing to let me trim it? I'm getting another IRN soon, so I'd like to know how to do this to save time and stress for everyone. I'm also getting a macaw in the future (a couple years away at least :D) so this trick would be extremely handy for a large parrot, too.

I know anything I gotta teach him will take patience. He was semi-wild when I bought him and I taught him to step up. It took a couple of weeks, but it worked.

I've been told that IRNs are "one chance birds" as in if you do something they don't like, they wont like you anymore. I don't know how true that is as I'm new at IRNs.

I don't know where to start begin training. Please don't be shy about giving me all the details you guys possibly can. I need to know how to do this.