Aviary size to breed ringnecks

Moderator: Mods

TiMoThY

Aviary size to breed ringnecks

Post by TiMoThY »

hello,

First of all, just want to say what a great website this is. So clean, tidy, simple and easy to use!

I was hoping someone can help me out here, I just purchased a coventional aviary that is 0.9m wide x 2.4m long x 2.1 high. Is it a suitable size to breed a pair of ringnecks?

What is the most preferable feeding equipment (water and food) for ringnecks? I don't want to end up buying expensive equipment to see it is not useful.

I hope to hear from one of you.

Have a great day.

Kind regards
Timothy
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

About your aviary, you picked a perfect size! I know there is speculation into having large cages when breed Ringnecks successfully; however, I have had really great results with smaller cages. I know many Ringneck owners might disagree with me, but I believe that breeding has very little to do with size but privacy and cage height. My breeding cages are about 2 ¾ FT Width, 3 ¾ FT Length and 3 ½ FT High.

Reason being I have such great results is that I suspend my cages about nine feet above the ground. This just barely gives me enough room to grab the food bowls and change the trays. The higher the birds, the more secure they feel. Another important factor is privacy. The more privacy they have, the more courting and mating they will do.

You might want to have three food bowls one for water, one for seeds, and one for fruits/veggies. I would place no more than two perches and keep the nesting box outside the cage. This will give you easy access to the chicks. Just make sure you mix some pine shavings with some clean soil to maintain moisture.

Hope this helps, if you have anymore questions, please feel free to ask :D

Best wishes,
I.C.