One cage, 2 birds..

Moderator: Mods

Lauren
Site Admin

One cage, 2 birds..

Post by Lauren »

I'd love to have just one big cage in the near future, but am a little unsure of how to put them in the one cage and when. They have spent a little time in the one cage before without any problems, but I'm still not sure if I should or not. Jibs has had his own cage all his life and Yoda is a bit bossy, also I am unsure of Yodas sex! This is something I'm going to have to think about, if in fact, Yoda is female. I really want to get a bigger cage to fit both, hopefully next year. They will be sleeping and staying in the cage when I am out. The rest of the time they get free roam of the house.
How has everyone else gone with introducing 2 (or more) birds to the one cage? I've been thinking about this for a while. Any suggestions, greatly appreciated. :wink:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Well hun... I just threw my cockatiel and ringneck in the bossiest ones cage (baby) and let them sit. Also, I got them both about the same time. Baby was a baby as was Peaches.

Yeah... I know, I know... my ringneck is going to KILL my cockatiel :!: :!: :!:

:roll: :lol:

Its been 2.5 years and not so much as a fight. But, remember... these two are NUTS. They are in true love. They cant be separated or they pout and call for eachother. HUGE exception.

I would tell anyone NEVER to house a tiel with a ringneck (never house anything with a ringneck unless they are breeder birds) but I know *my* birds and *my* situation.

If the birds love one another, they arent going to hurt one another. Im only concerned that they may get an attitude with you when they are put together... that would be my only concern.
julie

Post by julie »

Would it be an idea to have the cage there with the door open and let them check it out for themselves in the hope that they both go in? Im thinking if they casually get used to it rather than made to get used to it things may be ok.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Thankyou girls. I'm thinking I'll just take it day by day. When I get a new cage, I'll leave it up to them.

If I let them go to bed, how they want to, surely Yoda would take up a spot in Jibs cage. This has happened before. I just don't want Jibs to be 'booted' out of his own cage, this is why at bedtimes I have to pick Yoda up and put him in his own cage everynight. I'd love to just let them figure it out for themselves but I just can't shut the cage door on them both together, with the thought of something might just go wrong and a fight breaks out. I guess thats the only reason I don't let them.. yet.

If Yodas a girl, I'm pretty sure I've made up my mind on that matter. I'm not going to intervene. I won't stop them. Even if it means the slight possibility of loosing my bubs to nature. I mean, how could you stop love? :wink: Woah now, I'm just thinking too far. Or am I? They hate being separated. They follow each other everywhere! Jibby just looks like a lovesick puppy. Yoda seems to be playing the 'treat em mean, keep em keen' game. He keeps Jibs at arms length, but I see the little hints Yoda gives! I know, Yodas just playin. :lol:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

You just summed up Baby and Peaches to a 'T'!!!
julie

Post by julie »

Mikaela wrote:You just summed up Baby and Peaches to a 'T'!!!

yeah but laurens are the same breed, baby wants what he cant have :oops: :wink: